iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting the New Year off right! (WM re-sharp service) and storing blades?

Started by Piston, January 01, 2017, 07:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I've had my mill for quite a while now, and only use it for hobby type sawing once in a while.  I don't get as much use out of it as I'd like, and because of this, I have never once needed to use the re-sharp service, I'm still on my original sharpening from when I purchased my blades.

I figured the New Year would be a good time to start fresh  ;D  I mailed in a large box of 27 blades to be sharpened/replaced.  11 of those had broken the first time I used them.  I had called WM about this and they said there must have been a problem with the welds, and to simply break off the ends of the broken blades, mail them in, and they would replace them with new blades.  8)

So, Now I will have a whole bunch of freshly sharpened blades and no excuses for not using my mill  :D

I do have a question though, since I don't go through many blades, they will be stored for a long time (probably take me years to go through 27 blades).  How should I store them?  Should I keep them coiled the way they come back from re-sharp, or should I uncoil them and hang them?  Should I spray them with something like PB Blaster or WD-40? 

I'm excited to start my New Year with sharp teeth  ;D

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

bandmiller2

Matt, I don't think it matters if their coiled or uncoiled for storage. Best stored in a dry area and misted with something like WD-40 for long term storage. Sometimes you run across a batch of bands that were not annealed just right. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

They come back from WM Resharp oiled so you are OK to just store the boxes of blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on January 01, 2017, 08:43:04 AM
They come back from WM Resharp oiled so you are OK to just store the boxes of blades.
Yes, keep them in a dry place, they will be fine.  Nothing better than a box of sharp bands. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Piston

Thanks for the replies, I'll leave the blades in the box and might put a little extra oil on them. Last time I had used the blades from the box there was some slight surface rust on them, although I did have the, stored in my damp basement so that is probably more the problem. I'll store them in the heated garage from now on.

Might even change the oil on the ole 10hp diesel as well  ;D

I think it's great that WM exchanges the broken blades with no fuss (of course they should anyways, but they seemed happy to help.)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Brandon1986

I'm fairly green yet, and have only bought 2 boxes of blades ever.  However the first box that I bought I left them in the box and stored the box in a pole barn outside.  They were under cover and no water got on them directly, but the cardboard box attracted moisture and held it against the blades so they all have a light coat of rust on them now.. They still cut fine, but they is ugly...

Magicman

New blades are dry.  Resharps are oily because oil is used as a coolant/lubricant/cleaner.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I buy my blades in a  15-blade "flat pack", and when it comes cold weather, if I have room in my cabinet, I will wipe the blades down with ATF and coil them and store in the garage, otherwise if there's no room there, I bring what's left in the flat pack into the house and slide the pack in behind the desk or other out of the way spot! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Matt, consider synthetic oil for your mill diesel, will make it easier to start in the cold and in all likelihood add years to its useful life. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Piston

Well, I was excited to get the new blades back, but unfortunately they didn't honor the broken blade replacement  >:(

I understand why, it's been years since I actually purchased that batch of blades, and they said it's just been too long.  However, the reason I waited so long is because WM told me not to bother sending them in until I send in a box for resharp.  Guess they didn't realize who they were talking to when they said that!  :D

As a good gesture, they did send me 5 new blades as replacement to keep me 'happy', so I do appreciate that, but I originally sent in 11 new (broken) blades that I never actually got to use, since they broke so quickly.  Lesson learned though. 

Not much I can do about it now, but at least I have a bunch of new blades that will still last me a long time! 

They are being stored in a nice dry heated garage now! 
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!