iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don’t know what I’ve got or what to do with it

Started by Wlmedley, September 19, 2022, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

Found this tree down yesterday about 1/4 mile from the house.It's on my sisters property and she lives out of state.Looks like it fell a month or so ago and power company cleaned top up so leaves and small branches are gone. I went up today and cut two 10'and one 8' log.Wood seems fairly soft and cut about like poplar.Thought at first it was some type of hickory but now I don't think so.Don't know if it would make good lumber or firewood or nether.Will have to make three trips with log arch to get it home. Logs are around 18" through.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Wlmedley

Found one small limb with leaves on it.Compared with pictures in my WV tree book and maybe it is a type of hickory maybe pignut.Shellbark and shagbark are most common around here. Brought one log home whatever it is.br>

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

moodnacreek

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wlmedley

Thanks guys I was hoping it was hickory because I have never milled any and was wanting some lumber to get drying for various future projects.Have got several shellbarks close but hated to cut any being they keep the squirrels fat.I'll go get the other 2 logs tomorrow.Saw seemed to cut through it all full easy is what threw me off.Do you think pignut is softer than shellbark?Maybe my saw was just extra sharp :laugh:

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WLzM1A

Growing up in Belleville WV, I never saw a large hickory of any kind.  If it was big enough to identify, grandpa would cut'm down.  "Best firewood you can get boy" he would say :D :D
Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2
Homelite 330
Sears H58D
Whitehead 180 wall hanger

Lone Elm British Labrador Retrievers
AKC Fox Red and Black
Veteran Owned

customsawyer

If you get to milling it soon the smell will let you know where the name came from. It cross cuts easy. Ripping not so much.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Don P

That looks like awesome heartwood if the grade is there.

Thank You Sponsors!