The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Edger opinions  (Read 514 times)

Offline OakSavannah

• Share Post
Edger opinions
« on: November 17, 2022, 10:19:44 AM »
In the market for a gas powered edger. Would also like it to be a pretty accurate straight line rip as well.  Watched Mr. Miltons video of his custom Baker - nice but how does the WM EG200 compare with the stock baker edger? I will be edging both off the mill and kiln dried hardwoods mostly (flooring) so consistent and repeatable widths is a big plus.  Can you get lasers on the WM? Thanks.  

Offline Stuart Caruk

• Woodmizer LX450 DieselStationary timber processing
    • Share Post
Re: Edger opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 12:52:51 AM »
The WM200 is a great little edger. It's only real flaw is that it only accepts a 24" wide flitch which is pretty small for the newer wide cut mills. I sold mine for just that reason. I added a roof to my edger so I could mount a couple Amazon green line lasers over the top. They worked great.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 07:28:17 AM »
I've had many edgers over the years. Morgan, 2 Cooks, Woodmizer, and Baker. I liked the accuracy and consistency of the WM but didn't like the fact that it only had about 3.5" to the right of the stationary blade. I think having the knurled rollers fed the lumber straighter than a belt feed on the other edgers I have had. I also liked that when you set the moveable blade to a certain width it locked in place and that is where it stayed. They all have pluses and minuses. I guess to get one exactly like I want it, I would have to build it myself.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 08:02:30 AM »
Edging green wood is (should be) easy for any edger, the wood is flat so won't feed following the brown, is rough so grips easily, and is wet so is its soft and easy to cut.  Edging dry wood is a very difficult task for any edger because it is hard, slick and cupped.  

Of all the edger manufacturers I called, which was every one I could find, only two said they could do it,  Baker and Woodmizer.  Even then, both said it would be difficult.  The Baker took two tries to get it right, and I've never run KD planed wood through a WM edger.

We use our Baker a lot, we really like it.

A single blade SLR is much more accurate than an edger, but 3X slower.  A gang rip would be best for KD wood.  The most accurate way to use an edger for fast ripping it to make sure it has enough horsepower to mount several fixed blades to it's left or non movable side at pre selected distances, so that flooring wood is fed in the left side of the machine, wood to be edged are fed through the right side of the machine.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  So dont burn the cookies.

Sawing is fun for the first couple hundred boards.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Looking to buy new saw and want opinions

Started by North collins on Chainsaws

22 Replies
Last post December 20, 2006, 01:27:03 PM
by SawTroll
xx
Opinions Please

Started by luvmexfood on Forestry and Logging

16 Replies
Last post December 02, 2014, 08:15:52 AM
by luvmexfood