iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Here, Container Kiln

Started by Rick Fisher, November 03, 2022, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Guy

Yes they do. You also have to consider coil capacity( I forgot that one).
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

KenMac

K-Guy
 The main supply house we used had good guys who had access to the info from their suppliers. That definitely did not apply to the residential cut-throat supply houses for sure.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Rick Fisher

I've ordered a 20' container.  The plan is to build a kiln room of about 15 x 7 feet with a ceiling of about 6'8.   I'm in Canada and am thinking of framing interior walls and insulating them.  A man door in the rear of the container entering into a small room  ( 3 feet deep) ..  And another door with a window into the kiln.  This will allow me to enter the kiln in the winter without letting all the heat out.

( I may create a cubby so I could put longer wood inside if needed. )

Looking at the Nyle L53 and the EBAC LD800 .. 

If the kiln is insulated well enough,  will these units be able to heat it up to 120 degrees ?   Are they big enough ?   D-Fir needs the pitch set but I assume the dehumidifiers would be turned off for that ?  

I've reached out to both companies for better info.  

Ideally this kiln will dry 8/4 and 12/4 lumber.  It seems like 600 BF - 900BF is about the max for this size unit and that's fine .. I assume the drying time would be slower if the load was bigger ?  

I've been doing lots of reading here.  Learning lots.  Thanks so much .. 

JoshNZ

@K-Guy above is your man for that question I bet.

I'm not so sure insulating a standard container is a smart idea, unless you can be certain you have sealed off the entire inner surface from the kiln chamber, otherwise you're facing corrosion issues.

Is there any chance you can change your order to a reefer or NOR/non operational reefer they call them over here. Insulated containers with wrecked refrigeration units, stainless walls, ali floor, it's good to go when you get it

K-Guy

Quote from: JoshNZ on November 13, 2022, 08:21:02 PMI'm not so sure insulating a standard container is a smart idea, unless you can be certain you have sealed off the entire inner surface from the kiln chamber, otherwise you're facing corrosion issues.

When we build them we only use insulated containers because of the corrosion issues and they are already insulated, that saves time and money. Plus they are lined with aluminum and/or stainless steel. I never recommend insulating a steel container for those reasons.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Rick Fisher

Thanks for the feeback guys. 

There are quite a few containers in my area that are insulated with Spray Foam.   I wonder if that's why ?  Its commonly used to eliminate sweating on metal buildings around here. 

I need to examine my plan.  I'm told that D-Fir is not a major cause of corrosion but humidity is always an issue

Thank You Sponsors!