iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on stacking lumber for drying

Started by D6c, November 26, 2022, 12:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

My questing is, as you sticker your lumber and have some bowed boards, do you have a preference on which side up you lay them?

I've been putting them all with the bow up (high in the middle), thinking they would be more likely to flatten that way as opposed to having the ends up.
Any thoughts on whether it makes a difference, or do you even pay attention to how they lay?

Jim_Rogers

I believe the kiln drier's handbook says to stack lumber center of the tree up.

But I could be wrong.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Assume not talking about cup here. 

If bow, think D6c has the right approach. In the end, the weight of the pile above the bowed boards will be the key, and praying it will straighten the bow out of the boards might help too.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

YellowHammer

I stack mine "opposite spoon" (I don't know what to call it) but the bow of each layer is stacked opposite to limit "sympathetic spooning" or "Pringleing" like the potato chips.  So I stack my layers like ()()() as opposed to (((((( or ))))).   Then put lots of weight on them, either other packs of wood or concrete or something.  Press them flat like pressing a flower in a book.  Make sure your stickers are lined up neatly or you will get "kinking" or "zig zag" which is almost impossible to plane out.  Sorry for all the technical terms.  :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Larry

Leave it to YH, we have a new term...."opposite spoon". :D :D  I expect a youtube on this method. :)

I do the same way, but I called it stacking bananas.  I do try to position the bananas.  After I get two flat layers I'll put on bananas and try to keep them in the bottom third of the stack so they have plenty of weight on them.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

D6c

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 26, 2022, 06:13:28 PM
I stack mine "opposite spoon" (I don't know what to call it) but the bow of each layer is stacked opposite to limit "sympathetic spooning" or "Pringleing" like the potato chips.  So I stack my layers like ()()() as opposed to (((((( or ))))).   Then put lots of weight on them, either other packs of wood or concrete or something.  Press them flat like pressing a flower in a book.  Make sure your stickers are lined up neatly or you will get "kinking" or "zig zag" which is almost impossible to plane out.  Sorry for all the technical terms.  :D :D :D
That's what I was wondering about but couldn't think of the right terminology.
I began thinking about it ⅔ through a stack and wondered if I was creating "sympathetic spooning" as you call it.

YellowHammer

I have found that out makes a noticeable difference when stacking green wood, the greener the better.  As it dries out it becomes less effective.

I noticed that when I would stack lots or wood with the same bow shape, like Pringles, the stressed boards would overpower the neutral boards and cause them to Pringle to the same shape.  So this puts flattening loads on the bowed boards but also protects the neutral and straight boards.

It makes a very significant difference when air drying thick 8/4 wood, especially slabs.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Patrick NC

Up until now I haven't stacked any lumber for drying. Sold everything green.  My plan has changed somewhat now so this is great information for a newbie like me.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Canadiana

If it's important for them to be straight, I use dunnage and wratchet strap them snug. If it's not done this way they're never straighter later but usually I can just live with a little twist
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Ianab

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 27, 2022, 09:35:43 AMhave found that out makes a noticeable difference when stacking green wood, the greener the better.  As it dries out it becomes less effective

This. 

You have some chance of persuading a bowed green board to stay flat as it dries. It might still have some "spring" and not be prefect. But once a board is dried in a bow (whether it had one to start with or not), it will want to spring back into that shape for ever. Same as poor stacking can create a bow, and once it's set in place, it's there for good. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jpassardi

This is a positive property of wood if you're making wagon wheels, straight lumber - not so much...
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Thank You Sponsors!