iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone going to Paul Bunyon Show

Started by WV_hillbilly, August 27, 2002, 07:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

I was just wondering if anyone is planning on going to the Paul Bunyon Show  in Ohio The first weekend in Oct. . I will be going and would like to meet up if someone else is going to attend. It is a good time and they have some good eats and tons of things to look at.

Hope to see ya soon   WV hillbilly :)
Hillbilly

Jeff

I can give you a definite "Maybe". It has been discussed between our forest tech and I. He has a step son in Columbus, so we are considering it.

I may be broke by then though from logging congress and various forestry association board meetings I'm supposed to be at during Sept. Maybe them guys better start giving thier webmaster an expense account  ;D., The 1st of Oct. is opening of Archery Deer and the bigget reason I say maybe.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Mary and I are planning on going. Just we ain't made any plans yet. :-/  

We went last fall and had a great time. Trees were just about ready to turn.  Lots more to see and do than many of the other forest industry shows.

Here is one of the cabins in the pioneer village set up on the Hocking College campus.

We arrived just before the sun came up over the hill.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dugsaws

I would like to go, but it is a busy weekend for me. I am going to try to get there,just figuring out what day is the only problem. :)
Doug

WV_hillbilly

I hope yall can make it down to southern ohio for the show.There is just so much to see . I wish I had a rich uncle so I could buy one of everything I see down there.I live about 2 1/2 hours north of it. I 'm flexible about the day I will attend so hopefully some of us can get togather there.The leaves should be changingcolor about then and you have to drive through Wayne National Forest to get there from any direction.

see ya soon WV hillbilly
Hillbilly

dewwood

I am going to try and make that show this year.  Usually go to the Logging Congress but could not make it this year.  Nelsonville is a lot closer(about five hours).  I will probably go on Friday if I can get away, it has been pretty hectic around here lately.  
I would like to meet some of the people to go with the names I see here on the forum.
Let me know of any plans for getting together.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

sawmill_john

I'am not going to that show but two other guys from Mobile Mfg Co will be there demonstrating the MDS so if you guys would like to check us out come by and say hi to Don and Steve, I will be at the Kentucky Wood expo and the West Virgina Show (Flatwoods WV) the previous weekends.

sawmill_john

WV_hillbilly

I hope we can get together at the show it is a great place to see just about everything new and old in the timber industry. A couple of years ago a logging company brought a white oak log in  on a trailer and coldn't fit another one on the trailer. I want to say it was 50 ft. long  7ft. at the butt and 4ft. at the small end.  It was on a 40 ft. trailer and just dwarfed it.  Approx how many bd/ft do you think was there in that one log.Does anyone think you could get a couple of 12 in. wide Quarter sawn boards with no knots out of it.  ???    just kidding about the last remark after seeing some of those ugly logs you millers get and people want miracles cut out of them.

hope to see ya soon  WV hillbilly
Hillbilly

Jeff

According to our sawlog calculator a log measured at the small end at 48" and 50 foot long is
Doyle:6050  Scribner: 5376
International: 5521

If you cut it in half and 1 log was 48" at the small end and the other log was 64" at the small end

you would have little log:

Doyle:3025  Scribner: 2688
International: 2761

And the butt log:
Doyle:5625  Scribner: 4850
International: 4955
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

Kinda like the Boone and Crockett measuring system. Some of those forked logs do kind of have a 'non-typical' look to them. Maybe there shold be a second scoring system just for them.    :D  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

WV_hillbilly

Jeff

Anyway you slice it that's a big whack out of one log.

I just found out today that they are going to cast the Athens County Bicentenial Bell on Fri. ,  take it out of the mold , polish, and ring it for the fist time on Sat. .They will be doing the same thing at the Blackwalnut Festival the following week in Monroe County.The Blackwalnut festival is only about a 40 minute ride from my house. It is like the Paul Bunyon show but on a much smaller size.  I will have to leartn how to post pics so I can show you the steam powered circle mill at the walnut festival.
Hillbilly

Tom

Hillbilly,
Do you mean that the casting of a bell is a local affair?  Do you have a local foundry or is this some kind of traveling service?

I sure would like to see pictures of that Process?

WV_hillbilly

Tom

The State of Ohio hired a Foundry that has a mobile caster to cast one in all 88 counties in Ohio before next Summer to celebrat the States Bicentenial. They paid a guy from close to here to paint the Bicentenial Logo on at least 88 Barns through out the state.Sorta like the way they used to paint Mail Pouch Logo on barns years ago. Harvey Warick was the guy who painted alot of Mail Pouch barns he lived only about 20 Mins. from here.

Back to the bells . I will take my digital camera and take pics of the process so you can see too. I just will have to be educated as to how to do this. I only know how to upload pics to Ebay.

Abig fuss was made over the contract for casting these bells as it was not bid on . Someone just handed this company the job. It was probably some type of political back scratchin goin on.  

Hillbilly

Tom

You take the pictures and we'll get them on the forum even if you have to email them to me.  Read the picture upload stuff I wrote for the knowledge base and it might help.

It's under ForestryForum Tips

here's the link https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1021999910-6825.txt

WV_hillbilly

Hi yall

I will be going to the show on Sat.  due to a change in my work schedule.I hope some people will go so we can meet up and talk a while.  

Don't worry Tom I will get pics of them taking the bell out of the mold and finishing it . Then next Sat i will be going to the Blackwalnut Festival to Take pics of the casting of the Monroe county Bell .That way every one can see the entire process. From what  I hear they are lining up volunteers to act like a bucket brigade to get the ingots from a pile to the mobile furnace.  Sounds kinda neat . I can hardly wait.
Hillbilly

Dugsaws

WV Hillbilly,
      Have you decided what day you are going, which routes do you take.I am going on sunday, I am taking I-70 to Zanesville and south from there. If you are going to be there that day mabye we could meet somehere,mabye the Timber Harvester tent ;). If so write back.
   Dugsaws
     Doug
Doug

WV_hillbilly

Dugsaws

We must've been typing at the same time. Sat is when I have to go .  We will be going down Route 7 to Belpre then 50 and 33 to Nelsonville. Where are you coming from? I can look out my kitchen window and see the Ohio  River and West By God Virginia. The great state where I was born and raised.
Hillbilly

Dugsaws

Hillbilly
 I am leaving from Waynesburg,Pa area you live about 45 minutes away from me. I came home the way you said in 1999 and it took me about 4 1/2 hours,now I go to Zanesville and south on rte 93 only takes me a little over 3 hours from my house.
Doug

craigc90

I am going Saturday also. Timber Harvester sent me free tickets. Greg  Has been trying  to get me to come up and look at there mills and I dont have the time to drive to New York. So this should work out good. I have been wanting to go to the Bunyon Show for a long time. I will bring my digital camera and get lots of pics.

Bibbyman

Craigc90,

Here is a link to the photo album of pictures of sawmills I took last year at the Paul Bunyan show.  

http://www.cartogra.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=1072557

I'm sure I got one of the Timber Harvester among them someplace.  They were set up right next to the Wood-Mizer tent.  If you get a minute,  stop in at the Wood-Mizer tent and say Hi to John Hicks or Dave Mann for me.
Sawing since '94

WV_hillbilly

Craic90  ,

At noon Sat. some people from another forum and I are going to meet at the TH booth. So if anyone else is going to be there we could meet there also.

Dugsaws  

I might try that route this time going down there.  Do you run a mobile or stationary unit. Iwould like to see your setup if possible to learn alittle more firsthand about bandmills. I have a friend who has a circle mill but it doesn't appeal to me to  own one .

Hope to see yall real soon ;)
Hillbilly

Dugsaws

WV  hillbilly
   I have a mobile T.H. but I dont get to use it as much as I would like,my dad keeps me busy milking cows.
Doug

craigc90

Bibbyman
 Nice pictures. Picture 19 and 20 show American Bandsawmills. I have one sitting in my backyard its my Brothers mill has a 20 horse Honda powerunit Hydraulic loader and cant roller. He has had some problems with it but everthing has been resolved. I have been cutting some logs off my woodlot with it and I have the fever. I want a fully Hydraulic mill with auto feed. The one my brother has is a manual feed .
Learning from my brothers mistakes. I think I need to stick to a Woodmizer or A Timberharvester. From everthing I have read here the customer support is top priority with woodmizer and that is very important to me.I am going to the show with an open mind to learn more befor I buy anything.
  WV hillbilly
    I will try to meet up with you there at the TH tent we only live about 1/2 hour from each other. Do you know how early you can get in to the show? I was going to leave early go get some breakfast and get there early so I have time to study all the equipment.

Bibbyman

One of the food stands was serving a breakfast menu about sunup.  I got a big plate of biscuits and sausage gravy and cup of coffee and set down among the empty tables while Mary went to check out some knick-knack stuff.  

There was a line of people coming into the grounds and they were glancing over to see what I was eating.  By the time I got my breakfast done,  all the tables were full - including the one where I was setting.  I thought about going back and asking for my money back for all the customers I had attracted. ;D
Sawing since '94

WV_hillbilly

Craigc90

The gates into the show open to the public at   8 am  all 3 days.  I am going to try and be there before 9 am. If your up to it  they should  have a stock saw competiotion set up by Stihl sometime in the early afternoon. It is open to anyone and they supply the equipment  " saws , chaps , and helmets "  . It  was alot of fun the lastime I entered . :)
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!