iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question on drying green lumber in Nyle 8/4

Started by Kelvin, February 23, 2009, 07:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
I had a question.  I've only done air dried lumber in my kiln and have a basic idea of how much water it makes when its inside the specs i'm after.  Basically 6 gal every 12 hrs is right on my loads to keep at 3% or less MC loss per 24 hrs.  Now my question would be if i had soaking wet 8/4 would loosing the same amount of water per day equate to the same 3%?  I'm trying to figure out how much MC i'm doing per day as i don't normally do this and don't have a scale that is sensitive enough for the weigh in method.  (though i know i should get one) I'm a little worried about drying too fast as i've got QS white oak in there and its 8/4 so it can get wrecked pretty easy.  I'm following the Nyle guidelines which are conservative so i'm thinking i'm pretty safe.  I've heard oaks are about 80% MC when green, so at 3% per day i'm looking at 20 days till my moisture meter will work.
Thanks
kelvin

beenthere

Now Kelvin, this is a bit like asking us for directions for driving your car on the highway at night without your headlights on.... ::) ::) ::)

....over the internet, no less.   :) :)

Check out the value of the 8/4 wh oak relative to the cost of a scale and oven for weighing samples..

Air drying might be the safest, given that the kiln will be costly to operate and you may be short on funds.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kelvin

Yeah, you are right.  Rats.  Thought it might just be easy.  I'm sure i can find a scale.  But, anyone know if those two things would be similar?  Or does 3% per day make more water at higher MC's?
Thanks guys,
KP

beenthere

Now Kelvin.... ;D ;D ;D

3% a day is a rate...just like 40 mph is a rate. 
Can it be a good rate to recommend for drying your (or someone else's) valuable white oak (or driving your BMW through the dark, w/ no lights, or blindfolded)?

Maybe this isn't a good analogy, but sure don't want to see you wreck the oak.   ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

Kelvin, I think you would be pushing it to have an average drop of 3%/day in 8/4 white oak.  I would shoot for something in the 1-1.5% range for 8/4 white oak.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kelvin

Howdy all,
Well bought a scale and did the math.  Sheeze, its hard to visualize for some reason.  Glad i'm not required to do math now that i'm a sawmiller!
Just to let folks know the charts in the Nyle manual are pretty good for deciding on the schedule.  I followed the rules they used as a start point and it was working properly.  Given your kiln chamber isn't super leaky.  I'm sure mine is close to super leaky, but i'm use to the schedule on mine.  Its seems that the kiln does in fact produce the same amount of water lowering the MC from the upper levels, lets say 60% to 57% would produce about 9 gallons in my bucket.  Then from 12% down to 9% also produces 9 gallons.  Seems to be somewhat accurate.  So in my kiln, when full (Hmmm... that would be another question, i guess different bd ft quantities would effect that idea) 3% MC = 9 gallons  Seems i read about a system for weighing the water removed for keeping track of a schedule.  Oh, well.  At least i don't think i wrecked anything.  I've been removing 2% MC per day, and coming up on 35%MC, can't wait to turn it up!
Thanks for help,
KP

Thank You Sponsors!