iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Almost pulled the trigger……just could not do it.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 03, 2014, 06:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've been needing a new backhoe for a while. My 555C is on its last leg. I'm starting to spend a little more on it in repairs than what I want to and really its not necessarily the money as much as its the down time.

Nobody stocks parts anymore....they just say we can order the part....it'll be here in a couple of days.

I love my backhoe......quick detach of the forks, 4 in 1 bucket and the back bucket for digging and reaching out to pull slabs.

I demoed a new Kubota 7060 4x4 with front forks today, AC and heat, 3 point hitch and all the other stuff for farming........but NOT for logging.

It just did not fit my bill for a good support unit for sawing.
Tomorrow I'm going to Columbia, S.C. to demo a few of the Caterpillar Backhoes.

The Kubota was nice but basically "just a set of forks". I gotta have more.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cedarman

I have killed a few logs myself that tried to get away.  Other people may shoot them , but like you I stab them.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dave Shepard

Ag loaders just don't have the lift that an industrial machine does. That Kubota looks like a nice machine, but your 'hoe will easily outlift it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cedarman on September 03, 2014, 06:22:16 PM
I have killed a few logs myself that tried to get away.  Other people may shoot them , but like you I stab them.

:D :D :D Didn't go through the wood...........this time.  :D :D :D :

hackberry jake

Just a kubota with forks definately doesn't cut it!

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ozarkgem

nobody stocks anything any more. As you say they can order it , well I can order it. Ask them if they have air for your tire "no but we can order it". I would be interested to see what you think of the Cat hoe. Never been in one. I didn't know I needed a backhoe till I got one.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

thecfarm

I don't feel a 2-3 days,shipping time for a part is bad. There are so many things that are made diffeant every 2-3 years now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

I was warned by a guy that has sold used backhoes and other equipment for years, he gets most of his stock from a new equipment dealer that would drop off the trade-ins and tell him the price that he was buying them for, it worked great for years for both parties until they dropped of a used cat with electronics. $4000.00 in repair bills from the cat dealer (they could not work on it themselves like they usually did) and it still didn't work right.

In my opinion if you plan on working on your hoe yourself avoid electronics and stay old school mechanical.

Happy shopping!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Hilltop366 on September 03, 2014, 08:43:27 PM

In my opinion if you plan on working on your hoe yourself avoid electronics and stay old school mechanical.

Happy shopping!

Good point Hilltop. Thanks!

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 03, 2014, 06:33:09 PM

You just need a couple offbearers to stand on the 3pt for ballast...  :D

drobertson

if it were me, and the money was there, which it is not, I would go kubota, three friends have them in all the ranges of size, no complaints from any of them, they researched and sized for the application.  no need for a one pony show.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 03, 2014, 09:02:41 PM

It has a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete... This kubota might have just had a hard life, but the next tractor I own will not be a kubota. I think I'm a MF kinda guy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

That hoe hanging off of the back end is good ballast.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm not knocking Kubota at all. We have thousands of dollars worth of their equipment on the farm as well as New Holland.
I'm just saying....a backhoe fits my needs best.....your needs may vary.  ;D

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 03, 2014, 09:07:09 PM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 03, 2014, 09:02:41 PM

It has a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete... This kubota might have just had a hard life, but the next tractor I own will not be a kubota. I think I'm a MF kinda guy.

I've worked with a couple of those smaller Kubota's. I call them "horse farm" tractors. Good for hauling horse poop and maybe plowing snow, but no match for a 2,000 lb log. To be honest, it's usually me and the second helper acting as ballast, funny since I'm only 150 lbs.  ::) Takes a lot of faith in the guy behind the wheel, and constantly thinking which way should I jump when this thing rolls....  :o

Delawhere Jack

POSTON WIDEHEAD

ScottAR

I haven't looked up the specs on the bigger Kubota loader/tractors but the average Backhoe loader will handle 5000-6000 lbs. and some will pick more.  It's just a different level machine.  The tractor somehow got a lot smaller when we got the 580d Case.

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

NWP

Have you thought about trying a skid steer?  I used to load/move logs with a tractor and forks. Since I've had a skid steer, you couldn't hardly pay me to use a tractor and forks again.  They're so much maneuverable and convenient. You could keep the backhoe to use the rear boom every now and then. I would highly recommend at least checking out a skid steer with a quality grapple.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

underdog

Telehandlers are supposed to be real handy.
For a backhoe Case is hard to beat.
As with anything you have to do your homework to find the models/brands that are giving good service.

customsawyer

When you look at more back hoes take a look at the ones with the quick coupler on the front. Mine will lift about 8000 lbs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ozarkgem

Quote from: customsawyer on September 04, 2014, 03:15:31 AM
When you look at more back hoes take a look at the ones with the quick coupler on the front. Mine will lift about 8000 lbs.
What kind do you have?  8k lift is kick ash.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

julio

Poston I will give you $ 300 for your old backhoe  ;D
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

WoodenHead

A backhoe is built for rough and tough work.  Some of the higher horsepower Kubota ag tractors have loaders that can lift 3000-4000lbs, but I would agree that a backhoe is so much more useful.  I own a "little" L45TLB Kubota backhoe (not a tractor with backhoe attachment).  It can lift 2200lbs (a 24" diameter x 16 foot white pine log - just barely), but sometimes I need just a little bit more.  Someday I would like to bigger machine to work with and my choice would be a backhoe or telehandler.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If I can't find what I want, I'll just get one of these.

Thank You Sponsors!