iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Access output from Woodmizer KD250 Kiln from web

Started by aarontaddiken, April 05, 2019, 11:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarontaddiken

I've been scratching my head on how to access the KD250 unit remotely.
Since Nyle makes it I contacted them and they say they're working on something for next generation.
There is a $400 package they sell that will connect to a computer with a wire and output to a special software.
I could then access that computer and get it to a web app but still would have read only access.
I've tried ordering it but it will be months before they have it in stock...if they respond to me at all.

Anyone had luck hooking in a Rasberry Pi or Arduino and reading or controlling a unit like this?

I would love to be able to tie into it from a web app and view what going on daily with a load and even better would be to make changes to settings from the same app.

Thanks in advance!
Aaron Taddiken
Urban Lumber Lover

btulloh

I made something similar to track and record data from a solar kiln.  Not so much necessary, but just out of curiosity.  The Pi is a good little platform for things such as that and you can do about anything you want with one.

Here's the thread on my logger:  http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=99386.0

There are a lot of IoT servers that make it easy to get the data on the web where you can access it.  These are easy to use and free for non-commercial, limited use applications.  I can also access a more comprehensive output and control version when I'm on my home wifi network.  This could be accessible from outside if I wanted.

Here's a link to the web data.  https://thingspeak.com/channels/398226

This is not meaningful and the moment because there's no load in the kiln.  I didn't really refine the data display because I depend more on my wifi connection.  This just sort of scientific curiosity, but it illustrates the possibility.

Anyway, it's certainly possible to do what you're talking about and can any form you like.  Getting into the Pi world is pretty inexpensive.  How you interface it to the kiln controller will be your biggest question, but there are lot's of cheap peripherals for the Pi that can do whatever you need.

Sounds interesting.  Jump in and do it.  Good luck.  
HM126

offrink

If you have wireless internet access at the kiln, why not just use a webcam? Access it via an app anytime anywhere. I need to buy a wireless booster to do that exact thing. 

btulloh

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!