iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another pine bites the dust.

Started by doc henderson, September 05, 2023, 09:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

another pine bites the dust.  do the insecticidal soaps work?  it has failed over a year, after the one next to it, turned brown.  the remaining one is perfect so far.  the two gone were tree spaded from the back yard and were always smaller.  I thought the nematode went from a little brown to dead in a month.

should I slice it open on the mill to see the inside?  it is in the dump truck waiting to go to the dump to burn.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

slider

Danny clear cut over 20 acres that did that and saved half for the mill ,turned out some nice dennum boards.
al glenn

Magicman

PatD and I drove to New Orleans last week and saw (too) many dead Pine trees along the Interstate.  I do not know if it is Beetles or stress from this dry/hot weather.  I am also seeing an occasional Oak, but so far, many more Pine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Doc, if you can get any pictures of the bark (inside and out) as well as some pics of the base of the tree, we may be able to figure out what did your pine in.  Often, stress from drought, disease, injury or some other factors weaken the tree to the point that it is more susceptible to insects or diseases that finish it off.  

As an example, I had a group of five or so loblolly pines.  One or more got smacked by lightening.  They all survived for a little while.  In one of the bigger trees, I found pine sawflies, Ips engraver beetles, black turpentine beetles, and the evidence that ambrosia beetles were in the tree.  The tree was dead but had not realized it yet.  The rest of the group died over the next few months.  
Caveman

Southside

Oddly enough I have seen quite a few Gum trees die around here this year.  They go from full leaf to dead.  Not something you see often in Gum.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JD Guy

Quote from: Southside on September 07, 2023, 10:07:53 PM
Oddly enough I have seen quite a few Gum trees die around here this year.  They go from full leaf to dead.  Not something you see often in Gum.  
A little late to this thread, but if you can identify what is killing off sweet gum trees up there I am in the market for a train car load of it :D

Thank You Sponsors!