iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for advice on Eucalyptus thinnings

Started by Bennz, April 17, 2010, 04:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennz

I've got a stand of 18 year of E. regnans which is about 12 years overdue for a thin. Planted at about 3-4m squares. The intention had been to thin for firewood, but as some of the trees are now getting up to some reasonable diameters its tempting to run a few under the mill and see what happens.

These trees have got some reasonable size on them, I cut one a few years ago, it was 37m tall and about 500mm dbh at age 15. The tree collapsed on impact, so it went to firewood. Nice burner. Most of the trees I'm looking at extracting are in the 300-400mm range and about 30m+ in height. I'm very doubtful anything will come out of thinnings of this stand at this stage of neglect, but the idea of milling is too tempting to give all these trees to my firewood guy.

I've got an older Peterson, but never cut young eucs before. Anyone got any advice on what is possible in this situation? Suggestions on sawing techniques? Thanks.

Tom

Fill out your profile with your location and there may be a sawyer close to you who can give you some good information.   Ya gotta remember, this forum is based in the USA, but is world wide.  What's good for the Goose, isn't always good for the Gander.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!