iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need input on Poulan 5500

Started by MemphisLogger, November 13, 2005, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MemphisLogger

We just scored this Poulan 5500 for $10

From the lack of any scaring on the screws and allen bolts, it looks like it was never used enough to require servicing.

Compression is great and the saw idles smooth and reves up fast.

We're running it 25:1 per imprint next to filler.

Chainsaw collectors website lists it as being 90cc but only 4 1/4 hp.

we like little links

Question is, will this saw really handle a 36" bar? Could we even go bigger for ripping?

Also, anything special we should know about maintaining this saw?

Thanks,

UrbanLogger
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Cut4fun

It is made by Dolmar and is the same as the 144. You can check this all out on mikes site.

Chris J

I know that many Poulan models were relabelled & sold under different names, but this is the first I've heard about Poulan relabelling another manufactorer's saw and selling it as a Poulan.  Thanks, cut4fun.

Nice buy!  It's possible that 4 1/4 bhp is a typo.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

SawTroll

Quote from: Mucha_Nada on November 14, 2005, 04:54:28 PM.....
If you take a closer look at the HP reting at Mikes site, it becomes pretty obvious that it is messed up. It should probably read 4.27 kW, wich is consistant with the 5.8 hp DIN rating of the Dolmar 144. ;)
Information collector.

Cut4fun

Quote from: Mucha_Nada on November 14, 2005, 04:54:28 PM
I know that many Poulan models were relabelled & sold under different names, but this is the first I've heard about Poulan relabelling another manufactorer's saw and selling it as a Poulan.  Thanks, cut4fun.

Poulan did that alot with their bigger saws. 405 415 445 505 655 5500 8500 etc.

sawguy21

In the late 70's, Poulan sold the large Dolmars and Dolmar had the Poulan XXV painted red. The Poulan dealer I worked for  tried to get the loggers (Stihl country :D) to try the 5 and 6 cu. in.models but we were not very successful. Too heavy and the air intake design allowed chips to get under the throttle linkage so that the saw would not return to idle. The filter would also ice up as we were in DEEP snow. And I mean DEEP ;D. We had Stihl but offered Poulan as a consumer saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

MemphisLogger

sawguy,

I noticed that linkage position and wondereded if that might not be a problem and you're absolutely right that all that magnesium makes for a heavy saw.

Where would I go online if I was wanting to get a big bar for it?

UrbanLogger
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on November 15, 2005, 02:48:56 PM
Poulan did that alot with their bigger saws. 405 415 445 505 655 5500 8500 etc.
The Poulan Pro 475 and 505 was rebagded Jonsered 2077 and 2083 (not 2083 II), which was really a Partner design (P7700 - the first saw with "Air Injection"). The 415/425 were 65 cc versions of the same saw (never sold as Jreds).
What I still don't know about this is if they were made at the Jonsered or the Husky factory. :D

At least some Poulan Pro models (the 365 is an example) were sold as Partners in Europe some time ago, and smaller "homeowner" Poulans still is.

I also think that some early Poulan Pros were either rebadged Pioneers or based on Pioneer designs - but I am not sure of this ???

Funny, this E-lux story...... :D
Information collector.

Cut4fun

Quote from: UrbanLogger on November 15, 2005, 11:36:28 PM
sawguy,

I noticed that linkage position and wondereded if that might not be a problem and you're absolutely right that all that magnesium makes for a heavy saw.

Where would I go online if I was wanting to get a big bar for it?

UrbanLogger
Oregon has a Pro bar in 28" with 3 different chains.  List 3 32" chains but no bars. I'll keep checking for you, pretty easy bar to find.
Cutters choice online has 36" 30" 24" 20" 18" 16" bars in stock. Longer ones are Pro series GB's I think.

Cut4fun

Cutters choice link. With bars listed for you. The Pro ones are GB pros with replacable tips.    long links will be removed

MemphisLogger

Thanks Cut4fun,

I incorrectly assumed that it wouldn't be readily available from the regular souces since it was made in the '70s.  :P

Cut4fun

Have you guys cut with that 5500 saw yet? Which bar and chain did you go with?

SawTroll

Quote from: SawTroll on November 16, 2005, 07:10:30 AM
The Poulan Pro 475 and 505 was rebagded Jonsered 2077 and 2083 (not 2083 II), which was really a Partner design (P7700 - the first saw with "Air Injection"). The 415/425 were 65 cc versions of the same saw (never sold as Jreds).
What I still don't know about this is if they were made at the Jonsered or the Husky factory. :D
Update on this "story";
I had a long conversation on chainsaws etc with my brother, who has been in the small machines repair and service business since the early 1980ies, last monday.
That does not happen very often, as he lives about 1000 miles from here.

He could confirm that the P7700 indeed became a production model also as Partner, and was sold on the Norwegian market from about 1983/84 until the 1990ies.
In addition Partner sold two other versions of the same saw, probably 71 and 65 cc versions. He did not remember the model name on those, but thought they were 3-digit, like P710 and P650.
All versions shared the same IPL, and he was pretty sure he still had it somewhere. We will see........
The 71 cc version was the last to be withdrawn from the market, probably 1997 or later, he said.

Edit;
See post below

Information collector.

SawTroll

He found the IPL's.
The 65 cc version was called 660 to distinguish it from the P16 based 650, and the 710 was sold here in Norway at least as late as 1997.

There was one IPL covering the 7700 and 660, and another newer (1997) one covering the 710.
The only part numbers that were different were cylinders and pistons.
Stroke is 36 mm on all, bore goes 48, 50 and 52 mm.

I suspect that the 3-digit model numbers indicate that the 710 and 660 were meant as semi-pro saws, possibly with open port cylinders.
Information collector.

CSCollector

I have a good stock of bars to fit the 5500. 32" mostly, I think a few 36".  They are actually the Dolmar large saw mount.

SawTroll

The existence of the Partner 710 makes me wonder if there were a Poulan Pro version also. Model numbers 435 or 445 is "free" in the listing on CSCC, and a 71 cc versien would fit nicely in there in the numbering system......
Information collector.

twostroke_blood

Its worth $10 bucks for scrap iron. You scored a heck of a deal!!!

Thank You Sponsors!