iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Construction Class Project.

Started by shopteacher, October 04, 2004, 05:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

I needed a project for the construction class to do before the weather turns cold and came up this.
 The class hardly ever really gets to do much in  the way of roofing, come spring (when we're usually on that subject) the rush is on to get everything completed and tidy-ed up for the end of school.  So I jumped ahead to that unit and had the class build three 6' X 10' gable roofs.  They had to layout and cut the rafters, sheet the roof and shingle it.  They were in three groups and worked on their respective roof.  Now that the practice roof is done they're building a fourth roof only this time their on their own. They elected a foreman to oversee the assignment of jobs and the steps to follow in the construction process.  They have till Fri, to frame, sheet and shingle it for their grade.  Just by coincidence, those roofs just fit on top of my lumber stacks

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

etat

Looking good!   :)  Tell em I hear they're hiring all kinds of roofers down in Florida.  Heck, I could use some more help myself! ;)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

old3dogg

Now thats the true meaning of a shop teacher.
Wish I would have had real teachers back when I was in school.
Good job "teach"!

etat

wish ya had of too old3dogg, cause let me tell ya, you would have never, ever, forgotten one if ya'd a had one like Shopteacher.  Cause he reminds me too much of Mr. TC Ellis. :)

Let me see, we overhauled and rebuilt and stripped and painted his ole antique tractor over a couple a years, along with working on his barns or house now and again, along with pruning fruit trees occasionally in an around the community, along with taking a interesting field trip once and cutting some 'full grown hawgs with 'mountain oysters' big as large grapefruits',  along with building a small bridge for a local farmer, along with learning the basics of how to weld, along with learning about about debating per Roberts Rule of Orders, and many many other things us in class.  :)

They didn't call him a shopteacher, he was just a agriculture teacher, and don't get me wrong, he was pretty dang strict and short spoken by the way .  Ya never hardly knew what he was gonna be teaching you or have you doing but it was all real world stuff that could be applied somewhere in life.  Best class, and best teacher I ever had in my life. I took my last class with him in 1973.

The shop was always open for one of his students to work in, including dinner time, and evenings if you wanted.

And that's pretty much what and how them kids shopteacher is teaching is gonna be remembering about him.  Cause he's teaching em something they'll remember.  :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)

The bad part is, no one ever took his place, the dang school doesn't even have a shop now and hasn't had for years.. ??? ??? ???

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

ScottAR

Now there's a trip down memory lane...  

I had three, count em three, great ag/shop teachers in my high school career.  Mr. Harvil, Mr.Gilliam, and Mr. Waits.  I enjoyed every minute I was there.  I was even an assistant in the shop during an off period.  

The agri/shop area of my school was/is a big part of the program, mostly to the efforts of the agri teachers and the decently sized FFA budget available.   You see, the FFA chapter has a rather large farm equipment auction every year the first or second week of January and keeps a percentage of commission and all of the concession stand $$$.  In turn, they buy all sorts of neato equipment and do projects with students.  

They have a metal shop that would do any factory proud.  A wood shop that one could make nearly anything and a mechanics shop that's rebuilt countless tractors and small engines.  

As far as I'm concerned, every school needs a shop, They can build it on the football field and save some money on land. I don't know many that made a career out of football.  I know several trademen though.  ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

red

Lots of questions about air drying lumber recently. These 6' x 10' gable roofs also add weight to the lumber stacks . Not much chance of them blowing away like a tarp.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

justallan1

Great job. It's sure nice to see some communities still have REAL teachers and let them teach the kids all the way to a finished product, rather than a bird house.
When I was in high school we could use half of our day at a regular job that pertained to a trade and get credit or the regular class instead, where we built different things in the community. They built the local senior center from the ground up a couple years before I was there. When I went through it I worked at the local fairgrounds doing refurbish and new construction.
We definitely need more of these classes and more teachers like you.

WV Sawmiller

Shop,

My wife was the local HS band director for 20 years or so. She bought materials and the shop kids built her a nice big dog house, a big playhouse for the grandkids, a computer table/shelves, etc. We also bought a storage shed from them for my bee supplies. The local bank loaned them start up money and the shop built a house on rails so it could be moved. The house was auctioned and the profits were invested to continue every year. The kids learned carpentry, roofing, plumbing, electrical, dry walling, etc. All good practical skills. All these kind of projects provided useful products and real life training.

I like your idea and your project. The fact that the end result provided something useful is just gravy. Keep up the good work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

12 year old topic and I believe shop teacher retired years ago.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ScottAR

Still a good thread...  I still run into 2 of my shop teachers now and again, both retired now. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

red

Air dried lumber is good for many things. It needs a good cover or the top boards get ruined. Some woods also need weight on top . This HD gable roof does both .

sandsawmill14

Quote from: ScottAR on February 19, 2016, 11:59:00 PM
Still a good thread...  I still run into 2 of my shop teachers now and again, both retired now.

i had a great shop teacher to his biggest thing was welding in the shop and row crop/livestock outside the shop he was my 2 brothers teacher also. we made good friends and still talk regularly but he said its not the same now just barely have a shop he said they just cant get enough students to sign up for the class to get the funding they had when we were in school :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Jeff on February 19, 2016, 04:39:59 PM
it is amazing how some of the old threads keep coming back up but it good for some of us who didnt even have internet that far back and certainly hadnt heard of forestry forum :) thanks for a great site by the way smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

plowboyswr

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on February 20, 2016, 07:24:05 AM
Quote from: Jeff on February 19, 2016, 04:39:59 PM
it is amazing how some of the old threads keep coming back up but it good for some of us who didnt even have internet that far back and certainly hadnt heard of forestry forum :) thanks for a great site by the way smiley_thumbsup

X2
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Kbeitz

Our schools shop when to pot around this area. the schools closed them all up and sold everything.
They started up Tech schools to teach shop but if you did not get good grades in stuff like math and history
they would not let you go. So the kids that really needed shop got none. I was lucky to be at one of the school
auctions when they closed up my schools shop. I now own some of the tools that i used in my shop class.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

reswire

In Maryland, we did away with the term "Shop Teacher", and replaced it with "Trades and Industry Instructor", years ago.  Later, they changed the name of all of our schools from Vocational Technical Schools, to Tech Schools, and then to Career and College Readiness Centers, and now they are just College Readiness Centers in some places.  The word "Vocational" was considered a dirty word, and Technical was also thought of as outdated, both something to be ashamed of.  If computers were not in every classroom, the program and curriculum was considered worthless and undesirable to the counties and state.

I taught Electrical Occupations for almost twenty years, and enjoyed every minute of it.  I always loved seeing young men and women enjoying their work, learning the skills that would help them gain employment, and help keep themselves and their families sheltered and well fed.  Several of my students now run their own business, some found careers in the military, and many more continue to work in the electrical industry.  When I retired in 2012, three other instructors from our building trades classes retired at the same time.  Only one of us was replaced, and the classrooms/shops now sit empty.  It seems like the technical schools have been shipped out of the country, just like the jobs we all now desperately need. :-X :-X
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

red

Old topic but a heavy duty roof for air drying lumber 

sawguy21

My dad was the industrial arts teacher for almost 30 years and was a true craftsman. He taught some basic metal work to the junior class but wood work was his true calling. A number of his students went on to become licenced carpenters and a few shop teachers due to his influence. Being in the academic program I was never in his formal class. I wish I had taken more time to learn from him but I was too busy with old cars and lawnmowers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

metalspinner

I had never taken shop class but wish that I had. 
I really enjoy watching Mr. Pete (Tubalcain) on YouTube. He is a retired shop teacher and has countless videos.  Mostly machining and metal work with some casting and lots of tool introduction. 
His delivery is fun to me as you can tell the kids just wore him out over the years. 🤣
I can laugh because I've spent many years teaching that age group, too. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!