iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A newb with a buncha saws

Started by zakkb787, July 18, 2020, 07:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zakkb787

Hey guys. I'm new here. Hoping to learn a lot along the way. Grew up using my dads 026 which is still around, so I've always had a love for Stihl. I've been around mechanics all my life and have some blood sweat and tears under my belt with old cars and Duramax trucks. Few months ago I wanted a little saw so I got myself my first saw, an MS170 just for something to have. Didn't like the 16" bar so I got a 14" for it.

I then found a junk 026 online for under $100 and picked it up. Turns out, it's been gutted of a ton of parts and needs everything. So that's my biggest work in progress. Basically will be a brand new saw when it's finished. It's 100% disassembled ready for parts.

Then found an 032av I got for $135. Put the bar on when I got it in the mail and fired right up. I need to find a parts saw or a top cover/handle for it because it's broken off just after the AV mount so I can't keep them on, and no hand guard either.

Latest project is an 024 super that runs but seems to be sucking air. Idles way too high and no reaction to carb adjustment till it dies. So it's apart getting a new base gasket and all new rubber lines. And cleaned. It was disgusting. Really hoping it doesn't need seals but we will see. Luckily the piston and cylinder are mint.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and helping along the way as I can! The name is Zach and I'm in western NC at the moment. 

sawguy21

Welcome! Pull up a stump and stay a while. We love old saws, fixing them and making them work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

zakkb787

Thank you! I can't wait till they're all in good running order. Especially my 026. I'll probably have lots of questions along the way. 

sablatnic

Welcome!
And about your 024, with a bit of luck it is just the pulse line - a common problem.
Good luck with rhe projects.

Air Lad

Gidday mate.
Once you start it's hard to stop
Is a good feeling when you get them running like a Swiss watch smiley_thumbsup

zakkb787

Quote from: sablatnic on July 19, 2020, 02:26:34 AM
Welcome!
And about your 024, with a bit of luck it is just the pulse line - a common problem.
Good luck with rhe projects.
I've got a feeling this is the case. While it was running I sprayed a tiny bit of brake cleaner around the intake boot/impulse line and it would idle up. That's what made me just go ahead and rip it apart

Patrick NC

Welcome to the forum. I'm making sawdust about 30 miles south of you in Casar NC. Straight down highway 18.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

zakkb787

Quote from: Patrick NC on July 19, 2020, 12:36:30 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm making sawdust about 30 miles south of you in Casar NC. Straight down highway 18.
Glad to meet ya! Used to hang around Morganton a bunch. Been to Shelby a few times and got some friends down in Saluda too. 

Patrick NC

I go to Rural King in morganton all the time. That's my favorite store. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

zakkb787

Quote from: Patrick NC on July 19, 2020, 01:10:20 PM
I go to Rural King in morganton all the time. That's my favorite store.
That's where my MS170 came from. ;D It's like a Walmart, Lowe's, and tractor supply all together. I love it 

John Mc

If you are not able to find parts donor saws for some of your projects, check Chainsawr. They have a wide variety of used parts at reasonable prices. They are also a forum sponsor - see the link in the logos on the left of the page.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

zakkb787

Quote from: John Mc on July 20, 2020, 04:44:12 PM
If you are not able to find parts donor saws for some of your projects, check Chainsawr. They have a wide variety of used parts at reasonable prices. They are also a forum sponsor - see the link in the logos on the left of the page.
Thank you. I believe I've looked there before. I think the only thing I really need parts wise so far is the cover/handle/frame for the 032 so far. 

John Mc

I haven't been on Chainsawr in a while. It has a new owner since I last bought something there. If it's anything like the last owner, they don't have everything up on their web site. If you don't see it, it's worth giving them a call. 
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

Yep. Call them. The inventory is far greater than online listings.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Walnut Beast

Happy Birthday Jeff 🎂. Have a good one

Real1shepherd

Quote from: John Mc on July 21, 2020, 07:00:55 AM
I haven't been on Chainsawr in a while. It has a new owner since I last bought something there. If it's anything like the last owner, they don't have everything up on their web site. If you don't see it, it's worth giving them a call.
So Scott finally sold the business?

He was really disenchanted with all the collector people calling to shop parts. He'd send staff out to check on parts and the buyers would never follow through with a sale. His business model did not support that.

Kevin

Mad Professor

Quote from: zakkb787 on July 18, 2020, 07:55:21 PM
Hey guys. I'm new here. Hoping to learn a lot along the way. Grew up using my dads 026 which is still around, so I've always had a love for Stihl. I've been around mechanics all my life and have some blood sweat and tears under my belt with old cars and Duramax trucks. Few months ago I wanted a little saw so I got myself my first saw, an MS170 just for something to have. Didn't like the 16" bar so I got a 14" for it.

I then found a junk 026 online for under $100 and picked it up. Turns out, it's been gutted of a ton of parts and needs everything. So that's my biggest work in progress. Basically will be a brand new saw when it's finished. It's 100% disassembled ready for parts.

Then found an 032av I got for $135. Put the bar on when I got it in the mail and fired right up. I need to find a parts saw or a top cover/handle for it because it's broken off just after the AV mount so I can't keep them on, and no hand guard either.

Latest project is an 024 super that runs but seems to be sucking air. Idles way too high and no reaction to carb adjustment till it dies. So it's apart getting a new base gasket and all new rubber lines. And cleaned. It was disgusting. Really hoping it doesn't need seals but we will see. Luckily the piston and cylinder are mint.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and helping along the way as I can! The name is Zach and I'm in western NC at the moment.
Welcome.
For the 024S a stihl gasket set comes with seals. You might want to do those if you have it cleaned up and apart.  They are a bit of a PITA (small).  If your dealer is good for service, you might ask what he'd charge to install seals if you brought the saw in cleaned up with clutch/flywheel off.  Bad seals are common on 024/026.
  Those saws have a lot of common parts, I'd look for a parts saw to have stuff for both saws. 

zakkb787

Quote from: Mad Professor on July 21, 2020, 11:08:53 AM
Quote from: zakkb787 on July 18, 2020, 07:55:21 PM

Welcome.
For the 024S a stihl gasket set comes with seals. You might want to do those if you have it cleaned up and apart.  They are a bit of a PITA (small).  If your dealer is good for service, you might ask what he'd charge to install seals if you brought the saw in cleaned up with clutch/flywheel off.  Bad seals are common on 024/026.
 Those saws have a lot of common parts, I'd look for a parts saw to have stuff for both saws.
Unfortunately I don't really have a dealer I take anything too. I don't care for the main place everyone around here goes to. Once I get my base gaskets I'm going to slap it back together and pray it's not the seals leaking. I haven't pulled the flywheel on this one yet. If it is I'll just order them and take it back apart. Won't be as bad not having to take the handle off this time. I've been looking for good parts saws. Was originally what my 026 was going to become but I decided to just do what it needs and make it right again. Hard to come by an 024/026 for a good deal these days. 

Mad Professor

I'd still get the gasket set with seals, the set is cheaper than seals alone and chances are you'll need them for the 024 or 026.

Not sure on base gasket and ex gasket price alone.  You could check squish and do a base gasket delete.

Thank You Sponsors!