Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: organic

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 04, 2006, 08:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 10, 2006, 06:23:35 AM
You probably growing gene spliced hybrid potatoes with insectide against the bugs. :D :D  They do have them you know and you are not allowed to grow your own seed because of patents on them. ;D

Your the one with the spliced jeans SD  :D  :D  :D

Actually all of our seed that we buy which isn't much comes from here
http://www.ronnigers.com/
We get the odd stuff from them, our reds and white potato seeds our all our own and have been in the family over 25 years. My brother raise all our seed potatos for those.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Quartlow on June 10, 2006, 03:42:44 PM

Your the one with the spliced jeans SD :D :D :D

No, but they might have a few rips and tears from all the brush and brambles. ;)

Quartlow, doesn't the seed have to be approved by Dept of Agriculture as far as using your own seed? I'm sure that's the case in the US as well, since our seed is sent to Florida for testing. We have several areas that are quaranteened seed producing areas. Can't even bring spuds from Newfoundland to NB. I remember being over there once and before boarding the ferry back to the mainland they went through our stuff looking for spuds in transit.  We have foundation, elite and certified that have to be tested and approved. Certified is the lowest on the scale and usually very labour intensive to get approval on it by roguing the disease out of the field. Of course the other grades of seed are rogued to. We've had boughten certified seed that was simply a mess of disease. Someone got approval by a Fed with his feet up on the dashboard of the pickup.  ::) You have to take tops and tubers and all from the field in sacs and dispose of them. I believe (not 100 % sure) that the foundation tubers comes from plants grown from the actual flower seed (controlled pollination) and not the tubers. You can't even leave piles of waste potatoes around without burrying them. 25 years seems like a long time to me. ;) Father sold seed for 40 years, but he had to keep buying improved stock every 2 or 3 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Quote from: Max sawdust on June 06, 2006, 02:50:08 PM
Maybe for me it is not about the chemical definition of organic, it is about something being raised locally by small farmers and not triple wrapped in plastic and shipped around the world from some big factory farm.

This is how I feel too.  I don't care if it's labeled "organic" particulary, but I buy from local farmers or grow my own.   I use raw whole milk, and buy yogurt, butter, eggs and vegetables from local Amish farmers.  We supply our own beef.  If I buy from the grocery store, I prefer to buy organic products because the waxed appearance and feel of the "regular" produce upsets me.   :D  I wouldn't eat the peel on those super shiny apples or cucumbers for nothing!  I've picked apples, cucumbers and green peppers, and that ain't how they look! 
My major pet peeve is "salad greens" in those plastic bags.  Is it just me?  Has anyone else noticed that there is a stink when ya open the bag?  The real deal is just a few steps away and if ya pick up a hunk of fresh romaine, it doesn't smell like that!   ::)
I really enjoy good quality, locally grown foods.......but oh those hot dogs!!   8)
Say when

Max sawdust

Roxie,
8) 8) 8)
Yup 100% with ya.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Quartlow

SD
Honestly I have no idea, all I know is brother plants stuff late in the year for harvest as seed potato's been doing it that way for years. I don't have the room to do it so I just get mine from him.

Your right about one thing though a certification is only as good as the bribe that was paid off  :D
One thing I can tell you is the OCIA inspectors that show up at my Brothers and his neighbors don't mess around. you better have every thing documented and there better not be any thing on the farm thats not allowed. Scary part is since the Dept of ag and the USDA  got involved they are easier to deal with than the OCIA. They go by a much more relaxed set of rules
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Don_Papenburg

Roxy I heard on the radio that there had been a lot of people getting sick from baged salads. a lot of them had e-coli  or something like that.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Roxie

Lettuce shouldn't stink..........here's your sign.   :D

Say when

bull

Organic is defined as : Matter that was once living and is now dead !!  yummie !!! ;)

BMP / IPM  only way to fly, I use very little in the way of Chemicals, but some are necessary and the organic crowd has made some of there own.  Some of the organic remidies are more toxic to humans and animals than what the chemical company's make, becareful and use common sence ! And above all: Please don't P/O Mother Nature.!!