iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hogs

Started by Tom, May 16, 2010, 02:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The hogs that the idiot turned loose a few years ago are really tearing the neighborhood up.  This is the result of what appears to be one large one that got into our front yard the last two nights.  This is the second time this year for the front yard and they've got the woods torn to a fair-thee-well.  The problem in controlling them is that adjoining properties are owned by absentee landowners who do not want anyone on their property for any reason.   One is from Ohio and owns fifty acres to the west of me and the other is the wetlands mitigation property to the east that is owned by a Real Estate agent from somewhere who made his home and business on the other side of town, about 40 miles away.  Neither visits the properties but have made their feelings known.

Here is a picture from up toward the front of the yard toward the house to show the rooting of about a third of an acre.

I am showing this similar shot just to show off the new crop of Baldwin pears.  :D

Boy!!   Is Gael Ticked.

Some boys came from Middleburg today (about 60 miles away) because they like to hog hunt and saw the opportunity.  They didn't have a good time. The yellow flies ate them alive.  They did kill a 140 pound sow, but said that she was too far back in the scrub to get her out.  They left her carcass to the hordes of yellow flies, mosquitoes, and other vermin and fought their way back to the house through blackberry brambles and briars, "as big as my arm", he said.   

Thomas Swamp is a rough place and not for highlanders used to walking in a mowed pasture.  :D

D Hagens

Why won't your neighbors let you on their property? Seems to me that if you're having a problem with the pigs they would be happy to help you out by letting you shoot them.
Are they just like this or are most people down your way like that?
Out here it would be a call and grab your guns and go at it!

Magicman

Looks like a good opportunity for a red filtered Q-beam and a light sporter..... ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

Well if they never visit the properties then I guess they would never know if somebody shot some hogs there.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

Tom, I know what your going through. Even though we do not have wild hogs here, in the past we had some that a farmer let roam where they pleased. Heck even his horses and cows didn't know where home was. ::) They will tear up potatoes and grain like you describe. I do believe we did get some free range pork one fall as did a cousin or two.  ;D

Tom, you need to find a grass or something that smells and tastes like skunk so them hogs stay away. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Bad thing about Tom's situation is that once you get feral hogs.....you got feral hogs.   >:(

Roaches and mice would be easier to get rid of.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Thought about building a trap?

Need a sturdy pen with a drop gate on a trip wire and something tasty as bait.

You will only catch a couple before they get smart and learn not to go in there, but it's a couple less, and they are usually good eating so it worth the trouble.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

Quote from: D Hagens on May 16, 2010, 02:38:54 PM

Why won't your neighbors let you on their property?

Last year I took a logging safety course and one of the instructors was a former DEA agent and he warned us about the hazards of remote and isolated growing sites. If you happen on to one of those isolated sites, best advice is to get out of there quick. Most of them are watched by some heavily armed sentries and they know how to make some very nasty booby traps. And then there are abandon meth labs that are extremely toxic.

So be very careful about going onto remote private property.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

gator gar

I had a friend that trapped a couple of wild pigs and gave them to me. I put the mean rascals in a pen and fed them for about 2 months. I got to feeling sorry for them and turned them loose. I think it is against the law to turn them back into the wild, but I did it anyway. Well, they took offf across the pasture and I thought i would never see them again. The next day, I was taking a nap and my wife said, baby, come look at this. They were both back that next afternoon, snapping their teeth in the back yard, wanting me to feed them.

They hung around and ate and were gone again. day after day they came back about the same time to eat and then would leave. The next time my wife said, baby, come look at this, it was a different scenario. They had rooted up my backyard so bad, it looked like a an airplane crashed back there. My daughter said, they're gonna get the bullet tonight. I let it slide that first night, but they returned the second night and done it again.

I trapped them in the pen that I raised them in and had a buddy shoot both of them. We skinned them out and had some delicious sausage made. I hated to do it, but if I didn't, they would have wrecked my place.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Quote from: Gary_C on May 16, 2010, 04:42:25 PM
Quote from: D Hagens on May 16, 2010, 02:38:54 PM

Why won't your neighbors let you on their property?

Last year I took a logging safety course and one of the instructors was a former DEA agent and he warned us about the hazards of remote and isolated growing sites. If you happen on to one of those isolated sites, best advice is to get out of there quick. Most of them are watched by some heavily armed sentries and they know how to make some very nasty booby traps. And then there are abandon meth labs that are extremely toxic.

So be very careful about going onto remote private property.

Also, Who knows, the actual land owner may be watching you too!
With today's technology comes the satellite controlled camera systems.  This idea stops a lot of trespassers.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom

Well, neither of these landowners are from around here.  They are from Up the country.  I'll not say where, to keep from causing any grief, but they did have to pass through Kentucky to get here.

If a man says that he doesn't want me on his property, I don't go on his property.  I always felt that was a simple and righteous rule to follow.  Some people just see the world through different eyes and consider others not worth spit.

We've been trying to trap these hogs for two years now.  There are some young fellows who have built traps and placed them in the woods, but each will get about two and then the hogs won't go in again.

Hunting them sounds like fun, but we are dealing with tons of them. I'm not talking about 20 in a field, I'm talking about ten or twenty miles of hardwood river swamp.  There is muck, water, trees, shrubs, briar, thickets of small, stunted trees, yellow flies, mosquitoes, ticks, alligators, at least one bear, and just about anything else that you can think of that would make it impassible.   The boys didn't even try to bring the 140 lb. sow out that they shot.  I don't know how big the herd(s) is now, but I'll bet that the one directly behind me is in the hundreds. 

Shooting a pig for food now and again helps the table, but you couldn't eat this many and finding them is almost impossible.  You usually see where they were.  These are wild hogs, solid black tuskers, not breeds of domestic pig that got loose.   They are narrow, tall, strong, mean, very lean and have tusks that could rip you open from your ankles to your belly button.  Trapping is the only way and it will have to be a full fledged effort for many years, I'm afraid.

Radar67

There is an easy way to catch them hogs Tom, and here it is:

You catch wild pigs by finding a suitable place in the woods and putting corn on the ground. The pigs find it and begin to come everyday to eat the free corn. When they are used to coming every day, you put a fence down one side of the place where they are used to coming. When they get used to the fence, they begin to eat the corn again and you put up another side of the fence. They get used to that and start to eat again. You continue until you have all four sides of the fence up with a gate in The last side. The pigs, who are used to the free corn, start to come through the gate to eat, you slam the gate on them and catch the whole herd.

There is more to go with this story, but it gets political so I'll not post it here.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

D Hagens

Quote from: Tom on May 18, 2010, 12:10:43 AM

Shooting a pig for food now and again helps the table, but you couldn't eat this many and finding them is almost impossible. 

What if all the members here came down for a good old fashion pig roast. :) Make it a week long thing and I'm thinking it might fix your problems. 8)

Radar67

Jeff will need a hog in 81 days!  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

Wild hogs can be nasty and tough.  The fat can have a wild taste.  They are best penned and fed out to clean out all of the nastiness. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

One of the gents at the round table this morning was complaining that he shot a momma hog in his pasture and now the piglets (a little over a foot long) have grown used to the feed in the horse lot, so he has to kick them out of the way to get in the lot.  Of course we all suggest he pen them, feed them, and turn them into people food.  He allowed as how he did not want to mess with hogs, and figures he will just shoot them and let the buzzards have a meal. 

Then his son called, and the conversation was repeated, now the son is soon to be the proud owner of a dozen or so pigs, all he has to do is trap them.  The son is known to be a heavy trencherman.

Great when a plan comes together.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

It/they, came back and tore up some more yard last night.  If I didn't have to sit up all night in the mosquitoes, I'd get my shotgun or rifle and sit on the bed of the work truck.  You never know when they will show up.  Dang quiet though.

Gael is really ticked!!

Neighbors say they are going to come shoot them, but never show up.
The boys that came the other day, spilled some corn and the stupid pigs didn't even eat it.   I don't know what they are after that would be better than a free snack of corn.

Trying to eradicate hogs in the swamp is likened to eradicating mosquitoes with a fly swatter.

Ron Scott

Tom.
Does Florida have an open hunting season on them? It sounds like you have a tough landscape to hunt them in.
~Ron

Tom

Yes, Ron, Hogs are open season.   They do seem to want to live in the roughest areas that Florida has to offer.   Some of the young fellows go bustin' into the swamp with dogs, but as I've gotten older, I look at the palmettos and stumps that I can't jump over anymore.   If it were chasing a rabbit, It wouldn't scare me, but when the shoe is on the other foot, and it might be a Hog chasing me, I've become a bit leary.  :D

JimMartin9999

I understand pigs eat snakes.  Belle Isle between Detroit and Windsor used to be called Snake Island until they released pigs .  The pigs ate the snakes and the name was changed to Hog Island. It got its present name in 1845. Somehow they got rid of all the pigs.
Jim

Tom

A girl down the street brought her little trap and caught two last week.  A couple of days ago, a couple of boys from the county to the north brought a bigger trap.  Last night there was one got into it about midnight.  I'm waiting for the boys to come this evening, reset the trap and take the pig to their hunt camp.  I'm glad they are doing it.  I don't want anything to do with a live wild pig.

This one charged me was quite aggressive as I took the picture.  It has dug the ground up pretty good, bent the wire on the cage, tried to climb out of the top and just generally been a bad dude.

I could fix it with a 30/06, but then it wouldn't be much good to those boys.  Between the hog and the yellow flies, I'm miserable. No Joke!

Gary_C

He sure doesn't look too friendly thru that wire. Don't see any yellow flies on him so he must be too onery for them too.

Guess you could come up and visit Charlie for a while. Doubt he has any yellow flies or wild hogs near by but he might have some wild turkey.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

He's probably got a few deer flies, black flies and skeeters the trade by now. ;D

Woodcarver

Wild hogs aren't entirely unheard of in Wisconsin, but I don't know if there are any in the New Richmond area. Perhaps we could round up one or two down in Grant County just to make Tom feel at home. :)
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Thank You Sponsors!