iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wolf attack kills two dogs in idaho

Started by Dan_Shade, June 09, 2006, 08:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

asy

Oh my gosh, that's awful!

Buck, your wood ticks are looking better now...

Seriously, though, how prevalent ARE these attacks?

One more quesiton... This guy goes into the woods to track and "tree" bears, without a gun. I don't understand...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Dan_Shade

houndsmen train their dogs year round to keep them in top shape.  also many of them really aren't interested in killing anything anyway, they enjoy their dogs treeing up the quarry, similar to "catch and release" fishing.

seeing how wolves have been "recently" reintroduced, many feel that these attacks will become more frequent.

wolves were exterminated for a reason, that's my opinion, treehuggers that live in cities haven't a clue.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

crtreedude

I recently had an interesting experience on another list (cycling) - someone asked what to do about aggressive dogs who try to attack you on a bike. I said I kill them. Now, I get all teary eyed about a dog of mine that I had to put to sleep - but when an animal attacks - you have to do something, and you better be ready. Usually they don't really die (which I explained) but boy, they know not to mess with people again!

You wouldn't believe the ruckuss that caused! When I see any animal acting like a pack of wolves (or dogs for the matter) coming after me - well - I ain't going to ask questions. Said animal is going to find out why we are on the top of the food chain. When hiking, I carry a very large walking stick - very good on snakes, very good on anything for that matter. Better than a gun (except for the noise), I might miss with a gun.

One of the things we always have to watch out for with visitors is the "Disney" syndrome. That is where someone has ODed on Disney and think wildlife is their friend.  They will stick there head, feet, hands where they should not - I don't mind them doing it - but NOT ON MY PROPERTY. I don't need the headaches if they get bit, clawed, or stung. Do it with a tapir, you will be crushed.

No, wildlife is wild - really, really wild. Enjoy them, but realize, they are dangerous.

NJ was having a hard time with black bear about the time I left - people would leave their pets tied up - and then the next day, find no pet - and bear tracks. The are having similar issues in Arizona with bobcats I hear.

It is hard to make a living as a wild animal - tying up a pet outside is like giving them a free meal.  They don't realize (or don't care) it is your pet. It is food.

Wild animals don't think in terms of "your dog" - just "available food". They aren't evil - they are just pragmatic. Food is scarce in the wild - no one feeds your food bowl. Wolves are predators, anything weaker is prey. Forget what any one else says. Predators don't survive by not seeking prey. Usually, predators understand we are the meanest predator on the face of the earth. Until someone teaches them that humans are wimps.

I like the idea of wolves, jaguars, tapirs, very large boa constrictors, and even poisonous snakes - but they have to stay in their area. I saw on coral snake out in the fields. I watched him slither away and it made my day. I saw another next to our new home.

He is dead. (I am sure Jeff is glad to hear this)

Asy, I am a bit surprised about them tracking bear without a gun - I can see letting the bear go (honestly, bothing wildlife like a bear for sport doesn't appeal to me) but the bear may be enough irritated with you (especially if it has young) to attack.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

beenthere

The wolf-killing of hunting hounds is happening in Wisconsin (as well as pets) now.

Wolf packs apparently don't take too kindly to the encroachment of dogs (and its said even coyotes) in their territory.   
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

one plus side to running animals with hounds is it keeps the bears/cats afraid of people, which is a really good thing.

Bill

I like to see wild life ( some times next to the potatoes some times not ) so I'd hate to get rid of all of them but I'm victim to the not in my backyard disease. I can tolerate them if they're on their ground but they can't come on my ground ( esp house !  I don't even have an acre here so there's not much room to share ) . But I don't exactly know too many people that want them in their backyard either - but they gotta live somewhere. So I want them but don't want them . I think if I had a big piece of ground in the mountains we could get along.

I do like the deer, turkey and such that go through the yard ( remember I'm just 1.5 miles from the Phila ). I've seen coyote and fox nearby. And they've even reported a cougar south of the city ( a couple years back ) and another in south NJ across the river ( most likely released pets ? ) . Maybe if we stopped restricting the hunting seasons on the wolves, cougars, bears  they'd relearn that fear of man  ???  Certainly I'll rethink those solo hikes I've taken in the mtns  . . .  ( least wise I'll require a big stick as starters  ;D )

Tim L

I agree with the others. Why track wild animals without a gun ? I don't know the laws in Idaho, but I would rather defend myself and my animals and deal with the law later. As far as snakes go, if I see one color it gone !
Do the best you can and don't look back

asy

Ya know, Bill, it's funny.

Not that I'm at ALL interested in having bears in my yard, but...

Something humans have to remember. The bears aren't coming into your yard. YOU BUILT IN THEIRS.

Does that give us the right to shoot them indescriminately because we had the poor foresight to build in their homes? Dunno.

I think I'd rather see a fence up.

Again, not sure that's the answer, and I'm not philosophically against killing rogue animals that kill for the sake of it, or where there's too many (more than there would have been, had humans not populated their areas) such as in the case of the Wolves...

Am interested in your thoughts.

Tom

Sometimes we think of protecting ourselves with guns or knives or sticks and have the picture in our mind of the hunting show on TV.

When you are attacked by a wild animal, things look a lot differently.  I've had a wild dog tell me with his snarl that I was to back off.  I backed off.

I shot at a cotton mouth moccasin with my 22 from the back door one morning and he ran straight for me.  Now I was 3 feet off of the ground, in the house and it still scared me enough that I slammed the door.

If a bear decided that he wanted to come into my house, I'm afraid I would have to depend on my shotgun.  Yelling and banging dishes wouldn't be in the plan.

I don't think I would want one thinking that my garbage can was his daily buffet either.  All it would take is one swipe with that paw and you wouldn't have a face anymore.  One bite and half of your head could be gone. 

No sir!  Wild animals should never be confused with a house pet.

Bill

Asy

I have a problem - I'm so close to the city ( Philadelphia ) I could spit there . So being so close there theoretically aren't any bears nearby. I think I could handle the idea of one roaming around/passing through the back yard but I want to know what I can and can't do if it decides it wants to move into the house. Most of the folks in the neighborhood don't take kindly to hunting much less self defense but that's pretty much what I had in mind.

So if a bear wandered through I'd try to take pictures if it stayed outside but my neighbors might not take to kindly to what I'd probably do if it decided to come inside ( police either ). Now since Philadelphia has been settled for quite some time the expectation is that bears won't bother me here - even if they did manage to find their way here I would be more curious then worried - till they threatened life or limb.

If I was on a piece of land in the mtns, woods or country I would have a different frame of reference. Since I would now definitely be moving into their neighborhood I'd start by buying/building a house without big glass windows on the first floor and the doors would all be pretty strong - I'm on their turf. I would most likely let'em be - except maybe in hunting season ( but I'm not really a very good hunter - mostly have to rely on store bought  ;D ) . They'd still have to be threatening life or limb before I'd do anything - but I 'd probably be behind stout doors and walls ( incl windows ) and when out and about I might want that big stick - only so as not to be prey.

Brings to mind some advice a policeman once gave me ( he mighta been referring to two legged critters ) " If they're not bothering you physically leave ' em be otherwise make sure they're done ". His logic was that it wasn't worth the hassle for small potatoes.

Your reference to fences seems appropriate - but it does bother me a little to go to the Poconoes ( our 2000' mtns north of here by about 100 miles ) to see all ( 99% there are some parks and state land ) of the land fenced in  . Maybe it'd keep the confrontations down . . .

You do raise the question of habitat in a round about manner. What happens when more people build that cabin in the woods ( my turn is coming ??? )  ? I don't know the answer yet. I certainly want one but when we all move to the woods where will the critters live - it is their neighborhood as you reminded me ( us ). I know when mom tells me about the cougar attacks out west - I gotta think blame fool people built the backyards right on the side of the mountain - what'd they expect.

So while I support hunting and self defense I don't know if I have an answer for the space/habitat question. Would like to hear your thoughts though . . .

Tom's post reminds me of another tale from years back - when we all moved to LA. Well there we are over looking the city of lights over the ravine in the backyard of our freshly rented house - along with all the other houses elbow to elbow down the street. Mom wasn't working just yet but Dad ( still alive back then ) was at work and my sisters and I were at school. So Mom decides to go to the store - you drive everywhere in LA - so off to the garage she goes. Ehhh . . . wrong place to find a rattlesnake. Now which is meaner - Mr Venomous Viper ( we'll call him Mr VV ) or in this corner Mom - thinking her kids play here ? Well my Mom was brought up in NYC and Philadelphia so she had no learning ( nor owned ) a firearm - but Mom's do know how to wield a broom. Mom - 1  Mr VV - zip. 

SwampDonkey

Not trying belittle the incident with the man's dogs. It was certainly a tragedy. But, from what I understand about wolves, which would be same for wild dogs, they are a family and no one is aloud in that family unless approved by the lead wolf. It is likely the dogs were perceived as a threat to their family and limited food resources, so they were attacked. This can even happen to wolves rejected by one family of wolves trying to join another family. We can't think of wolves in the same way as our trained and tamed family pets. But if you think about it, even your best dog 'Spot' knows who the lead dog is in the house. When he forgets or his health declines that affects his judgement he may also experience a sad ending.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

Where we are building is in a pretty wild place - and going to be a lot wilder after the reforestation. We have monkeys, mountain lions, jaguars, tapir, snakes, wild pigs (not really pigs - something else), you name it.

We also have bars on the windows.  This is the custom here. Instead of fencing in the wildlife (human and animal) you fence in yourself. Works for me - it is cheaper.

It is a bit of a shock when people see this the first time. The issue is almost never when you are home, it is when you are gone. Anything that has to make a living by what it can find will find a house that isn't secure pretty tempting. 2 legged or 4 legged.

Now, I could be through the bars in 15 minutes or less - but for some reason, no body does it. There are cultural things here too. Put up a few strands of barbed wire - and people respect your property - don't, and they figure you don't care if people have their cows on it... any they might put up a fence and claim it as theirs.

Tom is right - being threatened by an animal, dog, wolf, whatever, is another case entirely. But, I have my trusty stick.

I know of a situation when two mountain lions decided to attack some workers - very bad mistake by the mountain lions. They might have teeth and claws - but those workers had machetes. One mountain lion died - the other ended up in an animal rescue place as a breeding cat (barely survived). Those machetes are very, very sharp - and they know how to use them.

Gary_C

The problem of people encroaching on the wild animals is a huge and growing problem.

On Sunday night, the Rochester, MN TV station had a story with video showing a fairly large bear walking right past the childrens play set in the back yard of their house in the city. Yes, it looked like a new housing development, probably on the edge of the city. The police were called and they turned the call over to the DNR. The DNR came out, but told them they would not do anything because they believed the bear had been in the area for at least 4 years and had never caused a problem previously.

That is not much comfort to a mother to essentially say that until it attacks you or tries to grab one of your small children off that play set, we will not do anything.

One less threatening story I just read was about the problem with prairie dogs in Colorado. Seems that in Boulder County which is known locally as "The Peoples Republic of Boulder," the animal rights residents are protecting what most people refer to as disease carrying, pasture and lawn damaging pests. Boulder County has erected a fence along the border with neighboring Broomfield County to keep the pests IN the county because they face certain extermination if they venture into Broomfield County. One of Boulder's school districts has a problem because when they have a fire drill, the children are forced into a field full of burrows and dung.  :)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

slowzuki

Mentioned the bear problem, here most bear problems are from people leaving out garbage and from putting non-vegatable wastes into their compost bins.  Bears are searching for food and our wasteful eating habits sure generate tasty refuse.  Once they learn they can get food this way its impossible to stop them from coming back it seems.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Anyone else get the feeling Jeff's excited ???

crtreedude

I have the perfect solution to wild animal attacks. An old guide taught it to me, and it always works. You always want to make sure that when you go into the wild, you have a person with you. This is key. However, you must choose this person wisely. The criteria is simple, but if you choose incorrectly, it can cause you to be seriously hurt.

They must be slower than you....   ::)  ;)

See? It is simple.

Jeff - this isn't meant to make you nervous on the trip or anything - honest, it will be okay...  ;D

Jeff

I'm not concerned about that, I have ways taught to me by an old Menominee Indian on how to make any potential guides slower then me.  ;D

My main concern now about Costa Rica is when my old pal Ada says to me, "Ya sure he aint just luring ya down there so they can harvest a kidney?" :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Besides Jeff - I assume that Harold is slower than both of us...

but, we don't want to try to outrun Amy!

Tom

Humans just think we are at the top of the food chain.  Then we find out differently when we get away from the confines of a gated community.

We run into problems in the mountains (lions), swamps (gators), prairie (snakes), rolling hills (bears), ice (polar bears), desert (Gila monsters and snakes and scorpions), Ocean (sharks, poison fish, Man-O-War) and even complain about the most safe place of all, New York City (roaches, rats and gangs).

Yes sir!  The only thing for the entire population to do is get in one place, on top of a mountain, clear off everything that moves and set out armed guards.   Let the poor defenceless animals have the run of the rest of the planet.  Boulder might be a good place for the multitudes to accumulate.

I'm going to try to stay here in North Florida and keep some wayward human from harming himself by accidentally intruding in these places that are off of the map.

SwampDonkey

Waivering off topic here, but I just gotta.... ;D

I don't mind the skunks digging in my lawn. It's at night while I'm asleep out of range. ;D  I know there are lot of folks that want that perfect lawn, I'de rather be doing something else.  My grandfather never mowed a lawn in his life, sometimes the old milk cow got tethered to a yard tree. :D :D Besides there was salmon and trout to fish and rivers to canoe on, no time for that lawn stuff. However, I do try to mow once a week but it's not priority. Besides I have so many yard trees the lawn slows growth by mid summer because of shade and dryness. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Once a week! :o :o :o
Just spent the last two days doing my yard and it will have to go at least two weeks before I try it again. ::)

asy

OK...

Again probably a little off topic, but I'll ask anyway...

I don't understand hunting.

Now, don't misunderstand me, I'm no bleeding heart (well, maybe a little) but I'd really be interested in knowing your thoughts.

I fully understand going out and killing animals for food. NO problems whatsoever. Yummo, make sure ya got me some sauce.

ALSO I understand totally killing feral animals, like cats and dogs that have gotten lose in the forest and are worrying the native species.

Oh, and, I understand kiling animals that are rogue, example the wolves at the head of this topic.

But.

I don't understand what the thing is with killing for sport.

Is it like other sport where you're trying to better a skill? And if so, wouldn't it be just as gratifying shooting targets?

Is it a power thing? "Look, I can kill a big beastie?"

Please don't get cross at me for asking, I'm jeeest a simple city gal. And also, don't misunderstand, I'm not judging anyone. It's one of the things I love about this forum, I learn stuff. Before I came here I couldn't understand (from media etc) how anyone could vote for your current president, but having been here for a couple of years makes me understand the ideals and thoughts of 'the real America' much better.

I guess what I'm saying is, I understand hunting/killing with a reason behind it, but, not so much understanding of sport hunting.

and yes, I fish, but I eat what I take.  I've never shot a gun, but that's through lack of opportunity, not any sort of dislike of guns.

Now, I'l really like to reiterate. PLEASE DON'T TAKE OFFENCE if you are a hunter. I'm not judging you. I'm not telling you not to hunt, I'm really just trying to understand why you do what you do.

crtreedude

Asy,

Well put - no offense. I used to hunt, so I will take a crack at explaining.

Hunting is part of our heritage. When I was younger, it was a way to put meat on the table - without it, there wouldn't have been much meat.  When my son was younger, I took him deer hunting. It was a great time together and teaching him how to track a deer, etc. was a good time together.

Most hunters I know do it for the food as well. Hunting deer keeps the population down - without having to have wolves and bears in your backyard.

I don't particularly enjoy the idea of hunting where they release pen raised birds - doesn't seem like hunting to me, just target practice with things that are alive.

I would actually prefer my meat to come from something wild. It is leaner and better. I guess I also look at it this way. The chicken that you probably ate was sitting in a cage all it's life. It was hatched, and it's entire existance has been inside a small square. This is true for veal as well.  Hunting to me is a more humane way to get protein. The animal has a fighting chance - with my skills, more than a fighting chance.  ::)

Perhaps the reason many still hunt is a recognition that we are predators - not grass eaters. We have the teeth of a predator, and we also have the disposition.

However, just blasting away at things isn't hunting to me. If it is that - shoot at clay pidgeons.

I don't hunt anymore, but I did enjoy it when I did.

Thank You Sponsors!