iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Howya do this on a swing mill?

Started by jpgreen, December 29, 2005, 11:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

Say you have a homeowner that needs his logs (bout 22- 30" diameter) milled mostly in 2x12's.

How can that be done on an 8" swinger effectively?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Ga_Boy

Double cut!

That is your only option.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

jpgreen

I guess you would whittle down an exposed 12" wide x 8" deep area then make your 2" double cuts working your way downward?

Do you have to knock in wedges the whole time or is there a way it can be done without to much trouble?

brdmkr

Once you start on the double-cut portion, you really will find wedges useful.  I have a couple of small pry bars that I throw in every 4 - 5 feet that seem to work just fine.  I don't hammer them in, I just put the tapered end in the kerf and push until it is hand tight.  This is only needed on the last horizontal cut.

I would not want to do very much double cutting in a day.  It can get pretty old.  Of course, I have a Lucas and the whole carriage must be turned to get a double cut.  I may be a piece of cake with a different mill.  Still, that is a heap of trips up and down a log.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

jpgreen

THanks brdmkr.

Maybe there will be some Peterson people to chime in with a way also...   :)

rbjones03

Once you get the hang of doublecutting, it not a big deal at all.

I use a small wedge on the release cuts about every 5 ft. but it not really necessary if you're only cutting 8/4 stuff doesn't seem to bind.

My sure you blade is  adjusted and be careful,  you are cutting without the blde guard.

Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

woodbeard

When you get down to the 12" wide 8" high "cant" you rightly describe, start the first part of the double cut on the right side, a full 8" wide. You may find you want to do this in two passes, but cut as much as you can on the right side first. Then get the saw over to the left side, start cutting the remaining 4". If it starts to close up, pop a wedge in, otherwise, wait til you get past the halfway point and put one in there. By cutting the left side last, you are in a better position to put the wedges in, and if you can just put one wedge in just past the halfway point, the plank will tilt back off the blade as you complete the cut. Repeat as necessary.  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

How's it going with that Bandmill, George ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Husband

You dont need us Peterson folks at all... ;) The answers given are correct, what I do is get the 12" from the right side of the log, which means that you cut your boards from the left as per normal untill you got 12" left on the right side, take the waste of the right side then go back up and double cut away ;D.
I also normally select the logs that I wish to double cut from and usually if I am after 12" I get them from the smaller logs that are about 18-20" in size so as to get max efficency from the logs.
It sounds mind boggling at first but once you get to doing a few it is real easy 8)
BTW, just got in from a fish this morning, we went out in a little run-about with our big 8hp motor, all those big flash boats speed past us to the deep blue sea...... within an hour we (2 of us) had caught 22 fish (snapper mostly) which are VERY good eating, threw back about 12 (cant be greedy, want to go out tomorrow). will post some pics later, love this hot weather!!! ;D
Chris

woodbeard

QuoteHow's it going with that Bandmill, George

Hi, Harold. It's going pretty well, overall. How's things down there? Got the Peterson going yet?

Fla._Deadheader

Waitin for it to get in country and delivered to the farm, George.

How's yer production numbers ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Troy

JP - Did you get your mill yet?  Double cutting with the Peterson really is easy.  Ga Boy and I lopped off a big slab with his 10" WPF a couple months ago and it was sweet!  Takes two minutes to take the guard off and set aside.  Set your depth and get the most of the width of your cut from the right side as Woodbeard suggested.  Remember that when you are making a horizontal cut on the right side of the log, you are pulling the mill to you.  When you come back to the left side of the log you will once again be pushing the saw through the cut and can place wedges as needed as you walk down the length of the log.  Make sure you have some help moving those big boards.  They are a lot heavier than you might first think!
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

jpgreen

No I just sent in my deposit.

I've got a lot of logs to mill, and would be using the mill I have now, but it's a monsoon rain back here..  :o

Dan_Shade

I would highly recommend wooden or plastic wedges instead of sticking in prybars :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodbeard

QuoteHow's yer production numbers
They're coming along OK, but I'm still having trouble with the high notes in "Memories."

;D

Paul_H

How's you production numbers?

Quote from: woodbeard on December 30, 2005, 06:24:44 PM
They're coming along OK, but I'm still having trouble with the high notes in "Memories."

;D

Good one George  8)

:D :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

Everybody's a freakin comedian.  ;D ;D :D :D :D :D

I'm talkin about that Mongrel Mizer ya bought, GEORGE.   ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodbeard

Oh... Those production numbers. ;)

I've mostly been cutting eastern redcedar, so I've been getting about 800-1000 feet a day in that. Pretty slow going, lots of loading, turning and positioning short wonky logs. But on days when I get to cut poplar, i can do up to 1200bf in a day working by myself. Haven't sawn at all in about a month, though. Trying to put a bigger truck together so I don't kill my poor lil' Toyota towing the mill. When I get going again, I'll post some pics and such.

Thank You Sponsors!