iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 660 vs Husky 395XP

Started by s grinder, June 12, 2010, 09:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s grinder

I'm in the stump grinding business and getting ready to replace the saw i use to cut cut stump butts off.I been looking at a Stihl MS660 and a Husky 395XP both with 32"bars,that will take care of ninety per cent of my cutting.Looking for some input.Thanks

JHBC

If I could buy any saw right now, price not being an issue, it would be either of those two.  I actually own the smaller brothers to both, and am very pleased with them.  The 460 being my #1 saw these days.  I would probably lean toward the Stihl, if only because I can get one for $100 less.  Prices may be different where you are, and if the 395 is a lot cheaper, then..  You're asking about the two saws I want, but can't afford right now.  I don't think you could go wrong with either, and 32" is bang on what I'd use too.  Whatever's cheaper is about it.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

HolmenTree

I'm in the stump and tree removal business too. I own both a Husqvarna 395XP and a early Stihl 066 Magnum. I had the 066 going on 18 yrs now and was a very reliable saw. I just bought the 395XP new about a year ago and I haven't touched the 066 since. The old 066 with dual exhaust outlets is stronger then the newer 660s but doesn't come close in power to the 395. The Husky is well broke in now and has all the power I need with a32" b/c. Alot smoother anti-vibe over the Stihl and with the air injection I have only cleaned the air filter once since new, hardly ever gets dirty no matter how dirty the cutting is.
I find the outboard clutch is tougher and runs cooler then the 066s inboard. I wouldn't worry about a $100 on either saw. I'd pay $200 more for the 395 over the 660 if I had to.You get what you pay for.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

For stump cutting, I believe the inboard clutch of the 660 is a slight advantage, and it also is a lot lighter.

Some report the vive level of the 660 as intolerable, while others have no problem with it.

If I needed a 90cc saw, I would probably go with the 390xp or 2188, but that's another story!   :)
Information collector.

JHBC

Holmen Tree with the solid advice again.  I took his pointers on buying a used 064, and didn't go wrong.  The 395 is a bit bigger, and a pound heavier, but I am sure his experience speaks for its self.  I do know that a lot of guys who use the 394/395 with 36" all day, and have no problems whatsoever, tons of power. My comment was based on a lot of use with the 066, and very little on a 395, and the small price difference. 
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on June 13, 2010, 10:51:13 AM
For stump cutting, I believe the inboard clutch of the 660 is a slight advantage, and it also is a lot lighter.

Some report the vive level of the 660 as intolerable, while others have no problem with it.

If I needed a 90cc saw, I would probably go with the 390xp or 2188, but that's another story!   :)
For stump cutting the inboard clutch is not the way to go. Like I said before I noodle rip split alot of oversize blocks in half and the outboard clutch design on the 395XP does not allow the sprocket cover to plug up like a inboard clutch design does. When your cutting low on a stump flare you are cutting almost the same kind of grain as "noodling" blocks, and I found my inboard 066 plugs up easily while cutting stumps low to the ground.
Before I bought my 395XP I looked at the 390XP and 2188 jonsered and all I could see was a bored out 372XP.
Weight is not a issue with the 395, the stump or the log you're bucking up or splitting is supporting the weight of the 395. I picked the 395 for what it is... "heavy duty torque monster" that gets the job done in heavy duty conditions.
Willard. ;)

SawTroll

My point with the inboard clutch for stumps is that it makes it possible to get the sprocket and bar closer to the ground.    :)
Information collector.

Ironwood

I have 2 394's, (older 395's) and always ask tree service guys why they own "that saw" (whichever brand) and I have heard in several instances about the "cleaner air cleaner" mentioned above. I did not buy mine for this reason, but for the power. It makes sense that the cleaner the air the longer the saw will last,...... but seems all are getting good service from both brands.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on June 14, 2010, 07:58:29 AM
My point with the inboard clutch for stumps is that it makes it possible to get the sprocket and bar closer to the ground.    :)
I'm not giving you a hardtime Niko, but I measured both my 066 with its wide sprocket cover and my 395XP and from the center of the rim sprocket to the edge of the sprocket cover the 066 is 1 1/4" and the 395XP is 1 1/16" wide.
But I'll give you a break, the 395's top handle protudes out a 1/2" more then the 066's top handle. :)
But then again on further inspection I found the 395's spring anti-vibe had more give then the 066 rubber mounts, and the 395 was just as narrow as the 066 when the handles were pulled up while in the stump cut. smiley_thumbsup_grin
Willard.

SawTroll

OK, I have no experience with those saws - sounds like Stihl isn't fully exploiting the fact that the 660 has an inboard clutch....... :-\
Information collector.

Rocky_J

Why are you guys wasting so much time arguing over a minuscule difference that doesn't matter anyway? If you're going to tout the advantages of an inboard clutch then you need to be talking about how much easier it is to swap chains and sprockets. I know guys who own saws with outboard clutches that have owned them for years and still have no idea how to change the sprocket.

I own and prefer the 395 because it has more power and oils the chain better. But for most users I think the 660 will be the preferred saw for ease of use.

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on June 14, 2010, 06:01:38 PM
Why are you guys wasting so much time arguing over a minuscule difference that doesn't matter anyway? If you're going to tout the advantages of an inboard clutch then you need to be talking about how much easier it is to swap chains and sprockets. I know guys who own saws with outboard clutches that have owned them for years and still have no idea how to change the sprocket.

I agree regarding sprockets, but regarding chain I find the difference marginal, once you find the right way to do it!  
Information collector.

Al_Smith

They both work so what's the fuss except an outboard is a pain in the behind to change a rim . 15-20 minute job the time you round up the tools and block the piston .Inboard like Stihl, 5 minutes tops . Discounting of course chasing down the E-clip if it gets away from you .Twang ! :D

s grinder

My dealer sells both,he would not say one was better than the other,but he's a dealer,he said like comparing Ford vs Chevy,both have a loyal following.

Rocky_J

Well they are the two best saws in the 90-100cc category. Do you want a Mercedes or a Lexus? You will most likely be pleased with whichever you choose, and either one will give you many years of dependable service.

peppone

you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

HolmenTree

Quote from: peppone on June 16, 2010, 08:26:16 AM
both of them are good saws.
I agree.
And that is why Stihl and Husqvarna are the top saw makers, because they have each other to compete with.  ;)
Willard.

peppone

I told that both of them are good saws. But generally I prefer Dolmar saws. Did you never try Dolmar PS 9010?
you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

SawTroll

Quote from: peppone on June 18, 2010, 12:18:11 PM
I told that both of them are good saws. But generally I prefer Dolmar saws. .....

Well, that is your problem!   :D :D

Jokes aside, the OP didn't ask about other brands than Husky and Stihl, and Dolmar distributen is spotty.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: peppone on June 18, 2010, 12:18:11 PM
I told that both of them are good saws. But generally I prefer Dolmar saws. Did you never try Dolmar PS 9010?
Peppone, the last Dolmar I demoed was a Sachs-Dolmar 120SI way back in the fall of 1990. I was very impressed with the saw at the time. But they never got their dealer support and marketing setup like Stihl and Husqvarna did, not even close. Its a no brainer ,stick with the top two.
From your neck of the woods shouldn't you be bragging about Alpina or Olympyk manufactured with pride by Oleo-Mac S.p.A.
Willard :D

s grinder

I want to thank everybody for for their input,i was in the middle of a stump last Thursday and the cooling fins on the flywheel[plastic] my old Jonsered blew apart.i had more work to do last week. i went to my local Husky/Stihl dealer,he had a MS 660 with a 32" bar in stock which someone had ordered but couldn't come up with the money,said he had it for 4 weeks,not much demand for a saw that size around here.We talked,we agreed on a price and i bought it.Ran it Friday and Sat. morning runs good, i needed a big saw with a big bar for my operation,thanks again. Joe

MrJim

Husky sold in chain stores.
Stihl by a servicing dealer.

Most (80-90%) of the loggers here use Stihl.

Outboard clutches are just a pain, cheaper to build.

SawTroll

Quote from: MrJim on June 29, 2010, 01:33:54 AM
Husky sold in chain stores.
Stihl by a servicing dealer.

Most (80-90%) of the loggers here use Stihl.

Outboard clutches are just a pain, cheaper to build.

When ourboard clutches are exploited, they make it easier to make a slim, better handling powerhead, as proven by several pro saws with outboards.

Btw, it mostly are the other way around with the dealers here, after my mail Stihl one had to give up. My second good Stihl dealer also had to partly give up, and now sell Husky as well as Stihl, but keeps a low profile on it..... ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!