iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maintenance & Repairs for Wood-Mizer LT40H

Started by ReVive Industries, February 29, 2016, 11:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReVive Industries

I just bought a used Wood-Mizer LT40 hydraulic and as eager as I am to start milling the logs I've been collecting for the last several years, I'd also like to do some cleaning and a few repairs on the mill.  It's in good shape and everything seems to be mechanically sound so my goal is really cleaning it up aesthetically, (who doesn't like a nice clean new machine to work with?) and repairing some minor bends.  The most significant or obvious bends are the loading forks.  I assume logs were run into the forks when they were in the down position as it is only the ends that are bent outward and they still function for the full spectrum of the loading operation.  Does anyone have any experience with this specifically or have an idea how to bend them back to straight without having to remove the arms?  I'll add pictures tomorrow when it's light out again.  Thanks in advance for any input.

thecfarm

ReVive Industries,I just want to welcome you to the forum. Been sawing long?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jdtuttle

I bought a 1992 LT40HD several years ago. I'm not sure where your located but the first thing I did was call woodmizer. They have a record of your mill & any replacement parts purchased from them. They also have a traveling repair maintenance truck that will come to your location. They can do routine maintenance and check all operating parts & controls. They also let you help & explain the operation & maintenance items you need to pay attention to. Can't say enough about the quality and knowledge they have. It's an investment in your mill you won't regret.
Good luck & welcome to "The Forestry Forum"
Have a great day

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ReVive Industries.

One of my loading arms was bent when I bought my used sawmill.  A "rosebud" acetylene tip & cheater pipe will straighten it.  Maybe not perfect, but certainly usable.  Both of mine are bent downward from lifting "too heavy" logs, but I am not concerned with that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

One of mine is bent outward slightly, probably from a log scooted sideways, but doesn't cause any issues.

I'll bet you could pull it in with  a well-rigged come along, on the tip of the bent one to lower near the cylindrical cross-brace on the other side, maybe with some heat if needed.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ReVive Industries!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

What MM said, but if the cheater pipe isn't enough, try using the hydraulics to your advantage. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

You really need to heat it to bend it and the pipe will be OK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Yea, I guess I was thinking that he might needa go that route if he was using, say, a mapp gas torch, which I don't think would heat it up enough.  Not sure if he has a rosebud and oxy/ace.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I would not want to tackle that with a mapp torch. 

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Seaman

Welcome to the gang ! Tell us a little more about yourself and your operation please.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Seavee

Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

isawlogs

The loading arms are easy enough to bend, I ave bent mine a few times pushing logs to get them somewhat better centered so they could be lifted onto the mill, I used the tractor to push them back into place no heat was needed it was bent cold, it will go back to its place the same way. A few inches out of whack ain't going to hurt nothing in the operation, only look better for a while.  ;)   :) :) :) :)

What year vintage did you buy ???

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!