iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Extra marks on a chainsaw chain tooth

Started by booman, March 02, 2024, 08:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

John
The marks on the Stihl chain are far to the rear of the tooth and the "end-of-life" has been reached, as well cannot catch a fingernail on the marks so not a problem if reached with a file. One mark on the Stihl chain is plenty to keep the angle aligned, IMO when hand filing. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JD Guy

Quote from: John Mc on March 04, 2024, 04:11:57 PM
Quote from: JD Guy on March 04, 2024, 12:21:20 PMI use the Stihl progressive depth gauge and it seems to work OK for me.
I was not aware that Stihl made a progressive depth gauge tool. If this is the one you are using, that is not a progressive depth gauge.
stihl depth gauge tool.jpg

I'm not sure if the depth gauge tool included on their "FG 4 Roller Filing Guide" is progressive or not. It appears that it is, but I can't see enough in their picture to determine.
Well, all of these years I've been mistaken :wacky:. Thanks for pointing this out, although my chains have always cut well.. I will source a progressive tool and assess the difference.
Thanks!

thecfarm

If it helps, use it. 
I myself would not use it.
But if it helps, use it.  :thumbsup:
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

Non of you guys is using the 2in1 filing system? since i use it i have not touched a normal handfile again. it's way faster and all the angles are done in one stoke, forget raker height. they perfect after two strokes. (for 95% of chainsaw users)

https://images.app.goo.gl/pGezEKhYmd446puA7
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

JD Guy

I bought a 2in1 a number of years ago due to the fact that my hand filing was...well not very good. It works. I did find that you could get the depth gauges too low if aggressive with the tool. I'm now better with hand filing when in the woods but do have an Oregon grinder to get all angles back to spec as mine get off some when hand filing. Also easier to clean up cutter that gets rocked or finds a nail. So, I hardly ever use my 2in1 anymore.

Thank You Sponsors!