iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Briggs & Stratton

Started by JBS 181, December 17, 2010, 03:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS 181

I have a 16 hp OHV Briggs & Stratton on my mill. I should adjust the valves  for routine maintenance. What is the procedure for this? What kind of gap am I supposed to have? Thank You for your help.

sawguy21

Remove the valve covers and spark plugs. Start with cylinder #1, closest to the flywheel. Rotate the flywheel by hand until the piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke, both valves will be closed and you can watch the piston through the spark plug hole. You can also use a piece of stiff wire like a welding rod or coat hanger, drop it into the spark plug hole and watch until it stops rising.. Rotate the flywheel another 1/4 turn.
Loosen the lock nut on each rocker and move the adjuster until a .005" feeler gauge leaf will move between the rocker and valve with a slight drag. Without moving the adjuster, tighten the lock nut and re check. You may need to repeat the procedure a few times until the feeler gauge drags slightly with the lock nut tightened. Install the valve cover with a new gasket and you are good to go. Repeat on #2.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JBS 181

Slabs

How many hours on the engine?

I've never adjusted valves as routine maintenance unless the valve train had been serviced.

If it ain't broke..................................!!
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!