iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to look for/at when viewing a used mill

Started by Cory, December 22, 2010, 07:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Hello....  I am new to this forum, but have been lurking around for a while.  I need some incite from people with experience.  I have been looking at mills for a year or so now.  Looked at all types and brands of band mills.  I want to get it right the first time.  I am going to look at a Timber King B16 tomorrow. Don't know what year yet.  The man said that he bought it new after selling his B20.  Don't know the hours either yet, but he stated on the phone that he has only sawed a few logs on it due to his age and no one to help.  What are some of the areas that I need to really look at on this Timber King? ???

Chuck White

Welcome Cory!

I'd say first, look for the completeness of the mill.  Make sure nothing is missing.

Make sure the mill is still rigid and square.  check the hour meter.

Check overall general condition.  Check the engine.

If it's portable, check the trailer and hitch underneath the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I'm not a TK man, but welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

Chuck summed up the basics very well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cory

Thanks Chuck...

What are the weak points on the Timber King B16?  

paul case

maybe see if he could give you a demo on the mill. this would give you a better idea if everything worked. be careful not to fall in love with the first one that you see run until you have made sure its the one for you. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

laffs

check both wheels there shouldnt be any play in the bearings. look at the rails for excessive wear. make sure the saw moves up and down well, doesnt hitch. hydraulic lines for cracks.band tires. and all other bearings.guide wheels for wear, if theres a lip on the lead edge they may need to be changed
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Just Me

Cory

Looked at the mill today... Turned out to be a 2007 1600 saw.  The owner said that the saw has not had a log on it.  He ask $16000 for the mill.  I thought that that was high considering a brand new one right now is under 15 and you get the new warranty. 

I am in no hurry...  In February I plan to go to the National Farm Machinary Show that is held in Louisville Ky.  I read that Hud-Son, Woodmizer, Baker, and another company that I can't think of right now will be there. 

Thanks everyone for your info...

Magicman

Sounds like you made one good decision today.  It would take a whale of a hobby to support a $16K sawmill.

Continue to spend time here and get to know folks and share some of your interests.  The right mill will come along and at the right price.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!