iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade saw mill#2

Started by Vautour, December 07, 2020, 06:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vautour

Tks for clearing that up Mike,wasn't sure if it was a company or a individual  ... at least my ignorance made one guy laugh :D :D :D :D :D
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Vautour

Log clamp seems to work perfectly on a dry run... 

Had to install a shaft to get my motor out of the way for more travel ..

added a motor to a burnt out winch for lifting my log turner.... 
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

RAYAR

I hope you're going to have enough alternator to keep your battery up to run all those motors. ;)
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Vautour

RAYAR .... Two Batteries and a 24 volt high amp alternator should do the trick...only the feed motor will be on a continuous duty cycle.. got 6 motors installed... two more to go... this mill started out as a small manual mill ::)... i'm allergic to peaveys. :D  

mike_belben

an alternator or pair of batteries is under $250 out of pocket.  insurance paid over 20k on my shoulder 10 years ago and it comes with a lifetime of continued pain.  burn up your dollars, not your body.
Praise The Lord

Vautour

That's for sure Mike... work smarter not harder...

RAYAR

Quote from: Vautour on February 28, 2021, 11:16:26 AM
@ RAYAR ....this mill started out as a small manual mill ::)... i'm allergic to peaveys. :D  
Mine still is all manual and it's great. Just think, if you'd've stuck to the manual, you would've been milling long ago. ;)
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Vautour

@RAYAR... I agree... i got lotsa time in mill #1( eventually widen that one up to cut 6 feet wide)...and since it's winter time and i have a welding shop and a God given gift to build things and have lotsa scrap to make it fully powered  , sooo why not!!... the elusive smell of sawdust seems to be getting closer every day now ;D    

Vautour

Vautour

tow hitch and Had to add sections to lengthen my bed to cut 20' today...

this looks all i need for a power toe board??  hmm 

mike_belben

Id have never thought to make a linear actuator out of a jack.  Brilliant.  
Praise The Lord

Gere Flewelling

Vautour- I have been  fascinated with the progression of your build.  As much as I have used hydraulics in my life and would agree they make life so much easier on bandsaw mill, I also enjoy being able to perform the hydraulic function another way.  I have a manual mill and have been working at copying hydraulic functions without the use of pumps and oil, though nothing to the engineering extent you have come up with.  I just like the idea of eliminating hydraulic hoses and pumps if possible.  
After many years of working up fire wood with hydraulic splitters and related equipment, I have found a Super Split splitter, belt driven conveyor, and a tph lifting boom with a hand winch pretty much has taken the hydraulics out of the fire wood process for me. Less potential for oil on the ground.
Keep up the good work and great ideas.  Thanks, GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Vautour

Big thanks for all the kind comments guys,... there a a lot of great builts on this forum and sharing pictures helps a lot of people with there own built... all is good thumbs-up

tamarackman

With the motor for the log stops fixed in place, did you notice any issue with the belt falling off the modified trailer jack's pulley?

Great build, very informative.

thanks

Vautour

@SPDM... no issues at all... there is probably only between 5 and 10.deg play and not enough to cause a problem, seems to work ok..

Vautour

Had to take the jack apart and lengthen the pinion shaft cumming out off the jack assembly and added a 1'' teflon bushing and casing to hold the pinion shaft steady for a side load,.. one could leave it as is and use a cordless drill.    

these jacks are well geared down, using only 12 volts it lifted me up no problem,... will be stronger and faster when i have 24 volts going thru the motor.... that makes 8 motors on my mill ::),.. two more motors are in the works for my log loader(on the back burner for now)..Next project!! Hmm.

Gere Flewelling

I can't wait to see the next addition.   popcorn_smiley Bring on the electric motors!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Vautour

Bought a bunch of wheelchair motors at the scrap yard(my favorite wholesaler).. $100 for eleven,..                   two for my log loader using roller chains,..thinking about adding power outriggers (like a backhoe) having chain and sprockets at the pivot point!! hmm.    

Crusarius

bedway

Do you think there will be any issues with coolant falling on the electric motors?

mike_belben

Theyre probably sealed for a chair in the rain scenario. 
Praise The Lord

Vautour

Found this in the garbage,. a water softener tank for my water tank,.. perfect....   

JoshNZ

Is that for blade lube? Mines about 3 litres! You'll only need to fill it once a year at that rate

Vautour

@JoshNZ.... after reading your comment and laughing my head off,.. maybe i over shot my water tank by a few litres :D....but it did make me rethink and that i could use that tank for my fuel and build a smaller water tank,.. boom new plan.   

JoshNZ

That's still looks about 3x as much fuel as I carry with a vtwin engine haha. But yup, who likes stopping to refuel

Thank You Sponsors!