iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick 2-27 edger

Started by moodnacreek, June 17, 2021, 08:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Along with the Lane sawmill I just bought came a Frick edger that someone rebuilt years back. The mandrel and shift collar are good and the feed rolls are even better, almost new. The whole thing is on channel iron skids so it is one piece. The gage bar works so nice, best I have ever seen. Yesterday I bolted 2 planks to the skids and stuck a 2 cylinder Wisconsin 14 h.p. on it. It will do a 1" hardwood board barely and it cuts straight. I have a 4 cyl. Wisc. that is 20 h.p. and I see in an old Frick brochure that it could have been ordered with that engine. I thought I would share this info because of the questions about powering these machines.

taylorsmissbeehaven

Sounds like you came out on top with that purchase. Id like to think an edger is somewhere in my future. Thanks for the info, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Patrick NC

Good information. I bought an old diesel Ford ranger to power mine, but the truck is too nice to scrap. I have a 17hp 2 cyl yanmar diesel engine out of an old grey market tractor that I might try first. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

Reading a little more in my old sawmill literature I find Frick Co. recommended 15 h.p. for this edger. They never would say what I haved learned the hard way and that is that it means electric h.p.  Also found out that this machine is for 2" thick but can do 3" with a press roll lift and could have been ordered to cut 4". These edgers could be converted l/h or r/h and have 3 saws or 2 shift saws[ center cut].

barbender

Sounds like a nice score! I hope there is an edger in my near future.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!