iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Nearly Perfect Setup

Started by Magicman, June 14, 2021, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I was looking back at some pictures that I took at a sawing job last week.  This setup has to be as close to perfect as one could get.

The logs slightly uphill from the sawmill and the sticker logs first.

And the logs fairly well centered according to their lengths.  This is a setup that I can text potential customers showing them how to arrange their logs for sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lynwoo

very nice site.  Good access all around.  Room to work and some shade.

slider

Can,t get much better than that.
al glenn

711ac

Quote from: slider on June 14, 2021, 06:51:33 PM
Can,t get much better than that.
I don't know, wasn't it MM that had pictures of a job with a pretty blonde helper with a big John Deere? 😆

Magicman

Is this the helper that you were referring to??  smiley_headscratch

And yup, dat John Deere is very nice.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Thumping D

I wish I had better photos of this one. It was 10 minutes from the house. All the work was done at this point.  The logs were staged to the right of the lumber stacks (about where I'm standing), centered on the chain turner uphill from the mill. The burn pile was right behind the mill (downhill). There was plenty of room to hook up and turn around when the job was done.  The weather was great with a beautiful view back in the cove.  Enjoyed it so much I waived the setup fee and told him anytime he has another job he wants done at that site I would do the same thing.  He and I went over the setup in detail before I showed up which included how a good setup would actually save him money by keeping the blade in the wood rather  than me at the end of a peavey.  I think that helped.
Darren Earle-Thumping D Portable Milling

Crossroads

I just stole your pictures Lynn, they are very good examples. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lasershark

Some photos of my 1st big job and what I would consider a "perfect" setup:

The first thing I did was saw up 4x4's for lumber pads, then I constructed 3 sets of sawhorses and two sets of cradles to pile the slabs and flitches. Then I brought in a burn barrel for bark and small scraps. 
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

Lasershark

Just wanted to add that this was my floor plan going in.and here's what I ended up with as of today:

2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

Sixacresand

You need a shade tree, Lasershark.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

offrink

Quote from: Lasershark on June 18, 2021, 05:00:11 PM

Just wanted to add that this was my floor plan going in.and here's what I ended up with as of today:

Hope you don't mind me borrowing your floor plan! I like that layout. 

Lasershark

Quote from: Sixacresand on June 18, 2021, 07:43:33 PM
You need a shade tree, Lasershark.   :D
Unfortunately, I'm sawing all the trees that used to provide shade, so I went with the next best thing: a tractor umbrella:

Thank You Sponsors!