iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1947 redwood logging video

Started by g_man, November 03, 2012, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Okrafarmer

Nice! I did not realize they were using axes to fell the trees that recently. I figured cross-cut saw for all that stuff.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sawguy21

Can you imagine a misery whip long enough to handle those trees? :D That was a neat video.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

drobertson

Yes, thank you g_man for this history lesson.  Just amazing stuff, those guys were good a felling for sure. what about that fellow topping that big one?  can you imagine going on that ride?  Have a great day!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

treetech

Thanks for posting that.  It was really interesting.

Okrafarmer

There was a Donald Duck short from back then some time, where Donald went through most all the same steps.  Much to the protest of Chip and Dale. Of course they dogged him every step of the way and caused him to have several OSHA violating accidents.  :-X
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

muddawg

Hello all.This thread looks like a good spot to introduce myself, as I was born and raised in the Redwoods.I logged some and pulled green chain at PALCO when I was a teenager.Great video as it reminded me of home.
I am looking to buy my first mill within the next 6 mo and this forum has made me think of all lot of things.When I am read to pull the trigger I know that this forum will have played a large part in my decision of mill purchase.I am an information freak so I hope you all dont mind being riddled with questions.Thanks again.
Native Son of the State of Jefferson

beenthere

muddawg
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I recall the days of being in the PALCO mills. Pretty awesome sights and sounds and good wood smells.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

muddawg

Quote from: beenthere on November 28, 2012, 11:23:03 AM
muddawg
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I recall the days of being in the PALCO mills. Pretty awesome sights and sounds and good wood smells.
Which mill did you work at?I pulled down at the Carlotta Mill.My brother pulled at Scotia.

beenthere

Wasn't working for PALCO, but had several fortunate occasions to be in them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

muddawg

Quote from: beenthere on November 28, 2012, 08:28:40 PM
Wasn't working for PALCO, but had several fortunate occasions to be in them.
They were something back in the day.It has pretty much all been sold off,bit by bit,piece by piece.Mill A is the only one running anymore,I believe is what my brother told me .Everything else is a foot note in American History.
Sad really.The enviro- nuts really hurt a lot of people as did corporate greed.

GeorgeK

George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

harrymontana

1500 year old tree, wow, and no chainsaws, very interesting movie!
everything on hardwood

Thank You Sponsors!