iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup 2024

Started by Chuck White, January 08, 2024, 08:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

We might as well get started on the Syrup thread for 2024.
We have cut back this year, where most people are expanding.
This year we have a 2x8 CDL evaporator, vs the 3x8 that was installed in Aug 2012.
We have around 800 taps this year, vs about 1400 in the past.
We'll likely be tapped by the first week of February.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

randy d

It always amazes me how early the syruping out East starts. We will start about the second week in March if the weather is nice.

celliott

We have been tapping since December 4th. Boiled twice on sap collected since December 11th. Got a little over 40k drilled so far, about 1/3 done.
Made 1850 gallons so far.
Where are you from Randy?
Our sap season really starts in March and our biggest runs are typically mid April. We start so early just due to having so many to tap, it takes awhile. But if you have trees tapped, and it warms up, we gotta go through the motions and collect the sap. We have now made maple syrup in 6 different months- incredible. A new spout and rigorous high vacuum are the keys.

I'll post some pictures later on of what we've been up to since last year.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

randy d

we are located in north central Wisconsin we only put out 25 to 30 taps just enough for our own needs but I sure like seeing your operation.

Chuck White

We've finally got some snow in this area!  However, it's not very much, maybe 6 inches on the flats, and of course there's always snowdrifts!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Nothing starts locally for the small guys until March. But I would imagine it's been underway to tap or whatever needs getting ready on the big operations on crown land. As far as sap flow goes, I wouldn't think much has started yet up here. Never been mild for long enough to make stuff move. Some guys do a lot more than just syrup.

Mr. Hargrove told me last spring, a gale force wind or an ice storm may not bother some, but for me it's one more thing to stress about. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

We've got the new spiles installed, and preliminary tubing system maintenance done. We'll see what falls on the lines and what the squirrels chew up in the next few weeks. We're looking to tap the end of the 1st week of February. There have been runs the middle of February the last few years and then it's done until the meat and potatoes of the season in mid March. Don't want to miss the potential 50-100 gallons of golden delicate  ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

IndiLina

Put a few taps in today and the sap is flowing in North Carolina.
Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Chuck White

We're planning on tapping next weekend, the 10-11, it'll be around 800 taps!

We'll be about 600 taps shy of the past few years, due to the crew splitting.

We have an RO and a new CDL 2x8 evaporator.

Our taps are all 5/16", and 3/4" mainlines!

celliott

Incoming photo dump...

We're rolling along. Got 100k tapped, we'll finish up in Eden this week. Then a week in Cabot, and a week to finish up our summer install and get it tapped. Looks like some sap weather end of next week for us. Been a busy winter, we're a bit short handed, looking like I'll tap the most trees I ever have this year. I did 4100 last week, on 4.5 days 😮 we got a solid crust, staying on top and legs are strong.

Edit, guess I gotta look into posting pictures again, got them in my gallery but haven't figured out the new way with the forum changes.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

SwampDonkey

Looking forward to it. 

If you upload to the gallery, then click on the photo you get a page with that photo and a string of code under it, 3 ways of posting it. Click one, copy and paste into post. Easiest to keep the gallery open in a new tab. You can also just attach the image now as long as it is resized, that will stay with the post and won't be in your gallery.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

Or just drag and drop.
Not a valid attachment ID.

hmmmmm,
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Firewoodjoe

I'm cutting hard maple now and if I was quicker I would have gotten a pic of a big one  the sap was pouring out. I couldn't believe how much as it is early but very warm. It was a big tree so I had to double cut it. I cut the first side and when I started driving around I could see the sap dripping. 

thecfarm

Not much above freezing here. I would say that sap is still kinda froze. 
But did see where someone plowed out the place for the tank..
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OH logger

Tapped half yesterday here in NW Ohio.  Got a gallon a tap this evening.  On buckets.  maybe we shoulda tapped em all but warm comin this week.  Then colder again.  Maybe we ain't gonna be all right be we ain't gonna be all wrong either 😂 pretty early start for around here 
john

SwampDonkey

Nothing running here yet, gets too cold at night and no 40's during the day here, not even 30°F. 20° night time to 40°F day time is the window of good sap here. It ain't happening yet.

randy d

We will do our first cook today yesterdays high was 52 so sap ran well we only have 35 taps out and hope to make around 25 pints that will be enough for our needs. What a winter this the earliest tapping I can remember in my 75 years get out and enjoy the sun shin.  Randy

Stephen1

Well it is a weird winter. I will float the bobcat over and  open up the bush this week. I see warm for the next week, not great sap weather. We have traditionally been end of march and 1st of April for the real runs. To set up our vacuum this early means lots of freezing protection running for 2 months. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

About 300 miles to east of here is a 5 foot deep blizzard happening.  :uhoh2:

DbltreeBelgians

I'll be tapping tomorrow here in NW Ohio. Might have missed out on some good sap flows as it's been pretty mild lately. Rather odd for this time of year in this area.
I'd like to asks the people that know what is the best sanitizer to use to clean my buckets, taps, poly tubing, etc, etc? I hang 5 gallon food grade buckets on stainless taps with a short length of poly tubing poked through a tight hole in the lid of the bucket. 
(tried adding a picture but I can't figure out how now)

I've used a little dawn dishwashing liquid and bleach to clean everything but it takes a lot of rinsing to make sure I don't have any residual smell and I'd hate to have off taste syrup because of that.
Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Brent

SunnyHillFarm

I will not use bleach or Dawn for cleaning. It is too hard to rinse. I use hot water and maybe a tiny amount of dish washer non sudsy soap. I try not to use soap at all. Cleaning promptly at the end of the season makes start up cleaning much easier.   

Plankton

Do not use bleach squirells are attracted to it. Nothing is the best option we pull our taps with the vacuum on and keep a regular tubing replacement schedule.

Sorry just read your post more thorougly For buckets and stuff if you want to sanitize maybe starsan? Should be able to find at any brewery supply store. Or just hot water it does get boiled after all.

Chuck White

We went to the sugarhouse yesterday and got the RO ready to go, connected delivery lines into the sugarhouse and the line connected to the feeder tank, then just regular cleanup.

We were going to tap today, but I've been laid up with sciatica for about 4 days.  pushed through it yesterday, but it's not going to happen today!

SwampDonkey

Don't push it too hard with that sciatica. I've had that for 3 weeks before.  smiley_thumbsdown

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: Plankton on February 06, 2024, 07:19:36 PMDo not use bleach squirells are attracted to it. Nothing is the best option we pull our taps with the vacuum on and keep a regular tubing replacement schedule.

Sorry just read your post more thorougly For buckets and stuff if you want to sanitize maybe starsan? Should be able to find at any brewery supply store. Or just hot water it does get boiled after all.
Good info to have, thank you. I saw something once about a sanitizer used in the milk house on dairy farms but not sure exactly what it was. No big deal. I got it all cleaned up, trees tapped and sap is flowing heavy..
Thanks for the info,

Brent

Thank You Sponsors!