iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100 octane

Started by tony_marks, November 25, 2002, 10:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony_marks

saw a first for me today. a gas station had one pump with 100 octane gas. i managed to resist. saws running fine now. besides they wanted 3.35 a gal. for it.

Noble_Ma

Years ago, the Gulf gas stations used to sell white gas.  My dad would use it in the Coleman lanterns.  It turned out to be today's super unleaded.  I guess that stuff is super super unleaded ;D

Tom

Gulftane, the purple pump, was touted to be 170 octane or something unreal like that when it first came out. Burn 1 tank in 10 they said.  Then the media started printing articles about the harm high octane gas could have in an auto engine and the the recommendation was silenced.  Then Gulftane had its octane dropped over a period about six month or so and became a middle grade. Gulf, Good Gulf, Gulftane and Gulf No-nox.  

I remember American Gas providing white gas. We used it in all small engines and outboards.  Yep I remember using it in camp stoves and lanterns too.  

I wonder if the hi-test gas from any station will work in a camp stove now that lead isn't being used? :P

north_bugtussel

Tom, All the stoves, lanterns and such are now designated as "duel fuel" they will burn Coleman or unleaded. I don't really know if any of these have internal changes in them or not.
Life is full of changes..the secret to life...is to out-live the situation at hand. VB

tony_marks

ive heard that about coleman fuel being the same as white gas.
  makes me kinda wonder if walmarts customers know they are in a building with high test gas setting on the shelves. theres so many fire regulations out now ,kinda makes me wonder how they get away with it. not sayin im pro regulation. noooo :)

DanG

I dunno what's in Coleman fuel, but it ain't just plain gas. I think the only real restriction on the stoves and lanterns is, that it has to be unleaded...not a problem, any more. I use 87 octane in my old Coleman stove all the time. It doesn't burn quite as hot as Coleman fuel, but it hasn't seemed to hurt the stove, after about 5 years. One of my stoves is probably 40 years old, and the "new" one is about 10 or 15 yrs old. I use them regularly, once a week, or so.

I'll try to get around to a funny story about Coleman fuel, soon as I get a round tuit. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

By the way, do y'all remember "Sunoco" gas? They had a dial on the pump, which, supposedly, varied the octane rating of the gas, along with the price. The dial went up to 260 octane! The price went up to almost 50 cents!!  This was in the mid-sixties, of the last century.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ADfields

Yup Sunoco, Dino Gas.   I never saw a pump like that but Sunoco is still around, thay are all over Colorado.  

If you read the fine print on the Coleman it's just "water cleer white gas" unless thay changed it from last I looked.   When I lived without power in Arizona I used unleaded and it will kill the genarator in them about every 6 months when you use them every night.   The genarator is in the stores for around $11 last I looked and are not hard to change, thay are all the same new "duel fuel" and old white gas onley.   What the nolead will do is plug it up with the gunk that gives it it's color.   The genarator is the thing that makes the liquid gas into a gas gas.
Andy

woodmills1

I think it was ammoco white gas and yes Sun oil company.  My father had a sunoco station all the while I was growing up and boy did I have friends.  that sunoco 260 was kickin high octane for big blocks, hemis, and hot small blocks.  I remember at least 3 different sets of adjustabl pumps, and we had a tank of regular and a tank of 260 and the pump would blend the two for the grades in between.  then 190 cma eout but it was on a separate tank.  tetra ethyl lead + no knock High octane.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!