iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw width

Started by Rob in NC, January 05, 2017, 07:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob in NC

I've got a question on head width clearance left to right.  The mill I have is advertised to cut 32 inches diameter but with the blade guide all the way out I'm only getting about 26 inches of width.  It's not exactly 26 I can't remember off the top of my head but it's a long way from 32".  It's not a big deal if I'm squaring a log up into a can't because I can roll it and manipulate it a little at a time but when I'm slabbing out live edge sides it definitely limits what you can cut.
2012 Lt 35 manual

John S

32" represents the largest diameter log that should be placed on your mill.  I believe that is based on the maximum height that the saw head can be raised on the mast.  Milling a log that is at your maximum rated diameter will require a lot of turning (from my experience) and whittling down before useful slabs or lumber can be milled.  My LT40 is rated for a 36" log, the maximum cut is about 28".  The largest cant that can be milled is about 24".
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

dean herring

I have a TK 1600 and I can cut a board 32" wide. Widest I've done so far was  a 30" pine but there is actually 32 1/2" between the blade rollers.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Andries

Quote from: John S on January 05, 2017, 07:24:14 PM
32" represents the largest diameter log that should be placed on your mill.  I believe that is based on the maximum height that the saw head can be raised on the mast. . . .  My LT40 is rated for a 36" log, the maximum cut is about 28".  The largest cant that can be milled is about 24".
Like John said.

You might have 28" between the roller guides, but milling wood that wide is limited by the thickness of the plank or slab. Around three to four inches on my old LT30.
If you want thicker, the throat above the band is what sets the maximum width that can be sawn.
So, the biggest beam that you could saw on a standard LT28 to LT50 is 24" square.
For wider cuts, you'd need to pony up for one of the "wide" versions of a the Woodmizers, or use a brand like TK or Cooks in their wide models.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Rob,

I've got my LT 35 from Albermarle office and the specs I read were pretty clear the max clearance was 32" but the max board width was 23" so I understood if I had a log that big I'd have to trim it down to 23" or under.

I think every sawmiller out there wishes at one time or another for just a little more width but we all have to learn to live with what we have to work with.

BTW - what part of NC are you located in? We have a daughter, SIL and new grandson in Charlotte so make trips down there periodically.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Yes Rob in NC you are correct.  I measure my actual cut width between the guides at 22.75 for my Woodmizer LT15.  It might be 23 but you need a little clearance.  That cut width is not practical for slabbing for table tops if you want to book match 2 pieces live edge.  If the live edge wanders quite a bit, you'd definitely want more cut width.  That's why I bought a 66"chainsaw mill (that actually cuts 56").  It's a lot slower and more work, but it depends on how often you want to make table tops.  It's also for cutting logs that are too large for the mill down to a size that will fit.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Sixacresand

Before cutting at the wide part of a big log, I take the blade off and make sure the log will pass between the roller guides and if the throat is high enough. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Rob in NC

Yea it makes sense but I guess this is part of the learning curve. I saw 32" and just assumed that was max width because that's what it said. I never put a tape on one. Would be a little less confusing if they advertised actual and then you would assume you could cheat that by trimming and rolling but that wouldn't be as advantageous from a marketing standpoint for woodmizer either so I understand the business side.

If I find myself doing a lot of that type work I will look at a chainsaw mill setup. I can't see paying for a wide model to gain 4" of width. Seems irrelevant for that little amount of width gain.
2012 Lt 35 manual

Rob in NC

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 05, 2017, 09:43:19 PM
Rob,

I've got my LT 35 from Albermarle office and the specs I read were pretty clear the max clearance was 32" but the max board width was 23" so I understood if I had a log that big I'd have to trim it down to 23" or under.

I think every sawmiller out there wishes at one time or another for just a little more width but we all have to learn to live with what we have to work with.

BTW - what part of NC are you located in? We have a daughter, SIL and new grandson in Charlotte so make trips down there periodically.

I'm in the SE part about 45min from the coast.
2012 Lt 35 manual

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 06, 2017, 08:22:17 PM
Before cutting at the wide part of a big log, I take the blade off and make sure the log will pass between the roller guides and if the throat is high enough. 

6acres,

That would take all the excitement out of cutting a big log (I may try that next time).  :D Even when the diameter is within specs there always seems to be a limb stub or sweep or something you didn't notice and this would to make it exceed max diameter.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Fudging a large log toward the side supports is common practice but you better take it slow and be very careful. 

Rolling it off of the side could ruin your day!   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Quote from: Magicman on January 07, 2017, 10:56:49 AM

Please don't have me explain how I knew that! :-[
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

killamplanes

A pile of 10 of those logs mm has pictured would make for a long day of frustration.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Sixacresand

Quote from: Darrel on January 07, 2017, 05:59:24 PM
Quote from: Magicman on January 07, 2017, 10:56:49 AM

Please don't have me explain how I knew that! :-[
Well it did not ruin my day, but I did that today.  At least no one saw it.  ;D A case of milling a fat log, that is too short to fit between the hydraulic log stops.  One of the manual log stops folded when I turned the log and it kept going.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Darrel

Didn't ruin my day, just the production for the day. I couldn't get the tractor round that side of the mill to pick the log up so had to move the mill, fish out the log then move the mill back and set it up. Then had to clean the log 'cause it landed in the mud.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Darrel on January 07, 2017, 07:17:03 PM
Didn't ruin my day, just the production for the day. I couldn't get the tractor round that side of the mill to pick the log up so had to move the mill, fish out the log then move the mill back and set it up. Then had to clean the log 'cause it landed in the mud.

"But other than that Mrs. Lincoln, How was the play?"
Howard Green

reswire

I've cut 40+ inch logs on my Lt40 before.  Does require several cuts to downsize the log (whittle it down a bit), but it can make a 28 inch wide board if you're doing it right.  I used to have a 1600 timberking, and did cut some wider slabs for coffee  tables (rustic),  but every mill has it's pro's and con's.  The lt 35 head is the same as the 28, not sure what the cutting width is.  I keep an Alaskan mill and a Stihl 660 around for wide center cuts on large stuff.  Eats a lot of gas, but makes a nice slab... ;D :new_year:
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Thank You Sponsors!