iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the difference in a Cooks mill and a Timber King-- PS. I'm New

Started by scooby7, May 15, 2014, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooby7

Just bought a used timber king 1220 but have not picked it up yet. Have been lurking around this forum and trying to learn a few things so as not to tear up everything.
Someone told me a cooks mill was the same thing as a timber king but all the posts I read the cooks were different model numbers than the timber kings. Just trying to clarify. I will be asking lots of questions later so hope you all are as nice to me as you seem to be to everyone who posts on this forum.
Thanks in advance for all the help I know I am going to need.
Kamatsu 150 excavator, jd 7320 w/loader, jd 5420 w/loader, asv pt100 forestry skid steer with fecon mulcher attachment, lots more toys

hunz

I'd say the only thing they have in common is their red color, and that they both saw good lumber. Apart from that, they are most definitely different mills and manufacturers. Hope that helps, and welcome!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

thecfarm

I have seen the Timbery at a show. Can't remember much of it. Never seen Cooks.
Welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

You did good scooby7 so now it is time to start enjoying your new treasure, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

cooks and timberking are definitely different manufacturers, but they're both well regarded mills.  congrats!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

kczbest

Welcome to the forum scooby7! I am sure that you will be happy with your purchase. All of the forum sponsors make fine machines!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

scooby7

Thanks for the welcome. As for plans for the lumber, I plan on building a couple of more barns. Daughter wants to put up a privacy fence. Another wants to build a dining room table. You get the picture.
Have done a little of everything but am not a carpenter so don't know much about woodworking. Most everything I ever did was out of pipe and steel so this will be an adventure. Have lots of equipment as I was a farmer, rancher, and pack rat. I will be on here asking advice so please bear with me and thanks in advance.
Kamatsu 150 excavator, jd 7320 w/loader, jd 5420 w/loader, asv pt100 forestry skid steer with fecon mulcher attachment, lots more toys

reswire

Timberking folks are very nice to work with. I'd call them, and let them know about your purchase, I believe they could help you with any questions you might have with the new mill.  Nothing like the source for reliable answers. 8) 8)
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

kelLOGg

Cooks makes some really big hydraulic ones and small manual-portables (MP) like mine. Which are you looking at? Everyone's partial to their own mill so look at many and we can be better help with specific questions.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Fedge

I think the rumor you heard was that Timber Harvester and Cooks are the same thing. The Cooks and Timber Harvesters look a lot a like.They both are red in color but they are not the same mill. Timber Harvester is no longer in business. I have one and really like it. I actually had a TK 1220 before my Timber Harvester. It cuts a nice board but get ready to buy lots, and I mean lots, of bearings for your blade guides. Hopefully, they changed that since I got mine. Watch out - saw milling is addictive.   
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

ladylake

If I owned a 1220 or any other mill with those small bearing for guide wheels the first upgrade would be some nice flanged guide wheels from Cooks.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

36 coupe

Quote from: scooby7 on May 15, 2014, 09:05:03 PM
Just bought a used timber king 1220 but have not picked it up yet. Have been lurking around this forum and trying to learn a few things so as not to tear up everything.
Someone told me a cooks mill was the same thing as a timber king but all the posts I read the cooks were different model numbers than the timber kings. Just trying to clarify. I will be asking lots of questions later so hope you all are as nice to me as you seem to be to everyone who posts on this forum.
Thanks in advance for all the help I know I am going to need.
About half the info on the internet is BS.You have just been handed a load

Thank You Sponsors!