iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling Wedges, what ones do you guys like.

Started by JOE.G, August 30, 2012, 01:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

I am going to order some new felling wedges and I was wondering which one you guys like?
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Al_Smith

Probabley the "red heads " sold by Baileys and other can take more abuse .They cost a little more but can take  bad hit better than others .It doesn't take too much of a bad hit to bust the cheap ones right into .

Now it does a person very little good to use 12" wedges on 16" trees .You'll only beat them to a pulp on the ends .Use whatever length as deemed appropriate for the size on the trees .

beenthere

I like the 6" plastic, as they fit well in my back pockets. I also have some 8" for backup plans.
Doesn't take much, just enough to tighten up in the kerf and keep the tree from setting back and closing the kerf. Light taps on two or three wedges placed in the kerf will lift a lot of weight to tip the tree over (is what I find anyway).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

I have 8" and 12" wedges.  I have bought the bright colored red ones from bailey's, they do take a lot of abuse and keep going.  The green ones are a bit more brittle.  The rifled ones (grooved) are nice if you need to stack wedges.  Now I have some from a local mfg. havent run them through the paces yet.  Bailey's has a good selection at decent prices, and they are a FF sponsor, how cool is that!?! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

shelbycharger400

I use metal ones- tool steel. When I have a heavy leaner the last thing I need is problems.

mad murdock

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on August 30, 2012, 03:54:28 PM
I use metal ones- tool steel. When I have a heavy leaner the last thing I need is problems.
ever nick one of those with your saw?  Ouch! I really like the plastic ones, never have to worry about nicking a wedge with the saw and screwing up the chain.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: mad murdock on August 30, 2012, 04:29:10 PM
ever nick one of those with your saw?  Ouch! I really like the plastic ones, never have to worry about nicking a wedge with the saw and screwing up the chain.
I'm with mad murdock on that one.  I've nicked the plastic ones too many times.  I'm afraid I would have ruined a few saw chains if I had used steel wedges! yikes_smiley
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

poorfarm

I use the the big orange/red power wedge 453 and clark tranny.

shelbycharger400

ever knick a wedge? a few close calls..lol but when you bring 2 or 3 with and a sledge hammer, and backcut almost all the way in, wack the wedge a few times and down she comes!  I guess I learned the how to from my parents that usto do a tree service in the early 80's and cut seasonal firewood through late 90's

tyb525

I've heard stories of people getting killed by pieces of metal flying off mushroomed metal wedges.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Mark K

I use the red headed 8" and 12" wedges. They hold up well. My favorite brand are Hard Head wedges. There yellow with a metal plate wear you hit it. Take alot of abuse but are prone to cracking in cold weather.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

John Mc

Never had a problem tipping  heavy leaner with the plastic wedges, but then when its well below 0˚F, I'm probably not out cutting anyway.  What kind of problems have you had with plastic wedges?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

shelbycharger400

tyb525.. all my wedges are in excellent shape, and are over 30 years old!  actually i have 2 more but are thinner than these, not shure where they are right now.  My stepdad made these out of Tool steel but not flame hardened. Not shure if its A36 or P series.  2 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 9 inch

beenthere

Those look like splitting wedges to me. Not felling wedges.
I can visualize not even getting those to slip into the chainsaw kerf.

But if they work for you, great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shelbycharger400

I have used them for both!  they fit in about an inch or so into a 3/8 kerf no problem, then a few inches more with a few light raps .

Plastic wedges...no thanks. I have one sitting on my slabber that was from a tree I had to drop for a homeowner. He broke 2 other ones off in the tree, he was only 3/4 the way through a 12 in dia oak. 3 plastic wedges in a dangerous homeowners hands let alone a chain saw.   I will give you this, Im goin to pick up a few 6 in plastics, just for the slabber when i do oak slabs, felling... I grab my steels

JOE.G

What sizes do you guys like, I have always used 8's or 6's, was thinking of getting some 12's this time whenI order, I always used the Stihl Ones but they can be pricey at dealer figured I can order a bunch online.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Al_Smith

The problem with a splitting wedge is not so much you might saw into it but more it might spit back at you and hit you in the knee or the family jewels .I've traveled that road and didn't like it even one little bit .Now an old steel felling wedge is worlds different than a splitting wedge .You won't find too many of those any more .

JamesE. PikeLogging

I like going to my local saw shop and buy the wooden wedges. I can make 1 wedge last a while if i don't cut it

Autocar

I like the lime green ones Baileys sell but the shipping cost so much so Ive been buying orange ones from the company I get all my saw chain from so I only have one shipping cost. Ten inch and twelve inch and I carry them in a little wedge holder on my chaps
Bill

WDH

I use the 8" plastic ones from Baileys.  I have never busted one, because like the Hound, I end up trimming them down with the chainsaw first  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I use the 8 inch ones from Labonville. I have had 3-4 into one tree before.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

shelbycharger400, A36 is a carbon steel such as used for I-beams and such, not a tool steel which is just as well since there is no benefit of using an un hardened tool steel for nearly anything. Most tool steels would be too brittle and throw pieces when struck.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Corley5

I like aluminum wedges  :)  My local saw shop carries them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bobus2003

Never used Felling wedges, if i needed a wedge I'd use the wedge I cut out of the tree or Cut one quick and use a branch as a hammer

giant splinter

I use the plastic ones the most and make wood ones if I need extra wedges, I recently picked some girlie pink wedges at saw shop on sale for half off. I am sure the loggers walked right past them for a couple years <GRIN> bright "hot pink" ain't exactly what I had in mind but half off was nice and I have not lost one or hacked one up yet because they really stand out.
roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!