iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

low water alarm

Started by BillNH, December 28, 2011, 10:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillNH

Saw suggestions here to check the PH so I drained off some water and did that today. Now, my central boiler is OFF, saying I have low water and the oil burner ($$$) is on. I don't see how draining off such a small amount of water could have mattered, but I added more water and when I went back  out to the OWB it was overflowing and still registering low water.

Any advice????

Thanks!

boilerman101

I think someone has had and posted on this problem before. Low water sensor is bad if I remember right. I think you could bypass or jump it out to get furnace running until you can get a replacement. Should be behind the control panel on the furnace side.

stumper

That happened to me and another gentleman out of CT I beleive.  If the water is up on the sight tube it is the sensor gone bad.  As I see it you have two options.  Buy a new water level sensor or by-pass the bad one.  In my case I could not get a water level sensor in a timely manner so I by passed the bad one until summer then replaced it.  If you by pass plan on checking the water level evry day.  You do a search, there should be both a discussion of how to by pass the bad one and how to replace the bad one.

Bad news is thatyou will ow need to drain off the excess water and adjust the chemicals.

boilerman101

My dealer friend showed me a great trick when adding  an additional pump and return back into my furnace while in operation. He just took off the vent cap and duct taped the hose from a shop vac to the top and turned vac on. He then proceeded to pull the suppy and return bungs out without draining any water down and the vacuum created did not allow more that a couple of drips to come out! I would think that would work for changing out that water sensor too and you would not have to goof with draining water down, adding water and rebalancing water conditioner.

stumper

That is similar to what I did when I replaced the water level sensor.  I described it in some detail in the past post on the subject.

BillNH

Replaced the water sensor and are back in business! 

Got some good burning advice from the guy I got the part  from in Putney, VT. I had been more-or-less filling the stove twice a day and he suggested to let it get down to a bed of embers before adding more wood. Supposed to go through less wood this way and I guess get a better burn which sounds like a win-win to me.

The water temp is keeping nice and hot now that I changed the range from 14 to 8 and have not been hearing the oil burner kick on which is music to my wife's ears!

Thank You Sponsors!