iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood mizer Solenoid issue

Started by crankin, April 16, 2024, 08:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crankin

1st post here hopefully someone can help . I have no power to hydraulics on lt 40 super . I'm not very good with multimeter or electronics but the solenoid in small box next to battery has 12.8 on the left post , when I turn on key right post which has wire going to brass block that contacts the copper strip on frame has no voltage . I put jumper cable on wire to brass block and hydraulics work . Does this mean that the solenoid is no good , thanks in advance . 

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  :thumbsup:

Yes, when you turn the key on you should hear the solenoid click and the right post should then read the 12.8 volts.  If it clicks and does not then it is defective and needs replacing.  (If it does not click then we need to do a bit more troubleshooting.)

That continuous duty solenoid is used both there and also in the hydraulic box to provide power to the hydraulic pumps.  You should keep at least one spare.

It is not unusual for sawmill owners to jumper the left and right post together until your new solenoid(s) arrive.  I would use at least a 10 gauge wire for the jumper.  Two would be better because those hydraulic pumps each pull close to 100 amps.  Just be aware that the hydraulics will now operate without the key being turned.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

crankin

Ok , I did not recall it making a click sound , I think I heard a click in accuset box but I will go out when it gets light out , check &  let you know what it's doing ... thanks for the info mm . 

Dave Shepard

Don't jumper, just move the right cable to the left lug. Or bolt the two cables together and wrap in electrical tape. WM can get you a new solenoid fast. My WM orders usually come next day.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

crankin

So much for 1st daylight ... went out and found that I had a real nice 3 yr old heifer expire over night and had to bury it . 
When I turn key to # 3 accessory no click sound in the solenoid next to battery , there is a click in the accuset box . Any help as to how I would check the solenoids in the hydraulic compartment ? Anyone knows cows any thoughts on that , we have good weather ( Ocala Fl ) area , no lightning , vet was no help  thanks again Ted

Andries

@caveman is an ag. teacher in the Lakeland FL area and a darned good Sawyer too.
He might be able to give advice that's region specific.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

caveman

I think we bypassed that solenoid on our LT-50 when it failed.  We have an auxiliary battery wired in so our hydraulics work whenever a lever is moved.

If the heifer appeared healthy, it may remain a mystery what caused her to die.  That stinks as she is at the age she should start providing calves every year.  We usually plan for Brahmans to calve around 3 y/o and European heifers to calve at about 2 y/o.  

I've seen them eat stuff that tangles up their gut (rope halter).  Round objects like oranges can get hung up if they swallow them whole and I've heard of cows dying from choking.  We used to have a lot of citrus here and generally crushed the oranges before feeding them to cattle.  We had 20" of rain that month the one ingested the rope halter so burying her was not an option.  When the carcass started to rot down, the owner called me and let me know that a rope halter was in the remains.  Sometimes they will die while calving if the calf is too big or oriented wrong.  
Caveman

Magicman

Quote from: crankin on April 17, 2024, 12:25:42 PMWhen I turn key to # 3 accessory no click sound in the solenoid next to battery
Now is the time to verify all of your breakers.  Be sure that the two that are on the rear lower portion of the control box are reset.  One is the Debarker and I do not remember offhand what the other is.  This is not your problem but it's easy to do so why not.  Notice that there is also one on each side of the front control panel.
IMG_2327.JPG
Now remove the long strip at the bottom of the front panel seen here secured by 4 screws.  I suspect that the center Aux. breaker has operated.  Be sure that they are all reset.

Now report back and lets see where we are.  

I stopped tending cows when I left home @ 17 years old.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

From what I'm reading I'd be sure to check the key switch too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

crankin

After work I attached both wires to the left post and hydraulics did work , would that indicate that that  solenoid is no good . I'll check those breakers , I've seen 3 on back of accuset box but have not noticed the two on the bottom 

Magicman

Yes that is an indication that the solenoid is not making contact if you are applying 12 volts to the solenoid through the key switch.  If you are not supplying 12 volts to the solenoid then it will not operate anyway and it proves nothing.  Take your voltmeter and look for 12 volts on one of the small solenoid terminals.  The other will have ground on it.

Troubleshooting is a step by step voltage reading process to verify that voltage is being applied to the proper component as various switches are operated.  Your voltmeter or test light are your friends.  

Southside

Cattle have an "average" lifespan because some 3 year olds suddenly die, and some live to 20+.  I have had cows get cast in the middle of an almost flat field, it was only by luck I found that one and got her up in time as her rumen was like a balloon, 30 minutes more and she would not have made it.  Sometimes we just don't know. Does not make it any easier, especially with todays prices. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

crankin

Good evening, here's what I saw , small box next to battery, both large cable connected to left post hydraulics work no volts to right post , small post has 12 volts only when key is turned on , breakers in accuset box are not tripped , I looked in hydraulic box : both large posts on bottom of each solenoid have 12 volts , top post gets 12 volts if I actuate hyd lever but only on 1 solenoid, and just for fun I noticed fluid coming out top of 1 pump when I closed down the locking arm ( can't believe how many solenoids are on this thing) any more insights please pass along  thanks 

Magicman

If I am following you, you have verified that your supply solenoid in the box is not operating and needs replacing.  Also the solenoid that is supplying the pump that is spewing fluid is also not operating. 

I would order three.  Two to replace your two defective/not working solenoids and one for a spare.

Yes, there are three in the hydraulic circuit, but once you are up and running, you should be trouble free for a long time.  You could just go ahead and replace all three and keep the working one from the hydraulic box as your spare.  Just a thought.

Peter Drouin

I try to have a spare of everything. ffcheesy  A lot of $$ upfront,
But, downtime costs $$ too. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tacks Y

I have been selling some kiln dried wood this winter trying to clean out and reorganize. I do not cut to sell, just my own use.  A man came and bought some from me said he had worked for WM.  He went on to say he designed a debarker/mud saw for them but when he showed them they said it was built to well. He was told by the owner they make more on parts than they do selling saws. He knew the top dog by first name and sat in his office talking things out. Said he left after their approach to build durability. 

Let the stones fly, I am not trying to flame anyone or WM.  The man seemed honest and it was interesting to talk to him. 

barbender

WM has had issues on their debarkers. On the other hand, I've had my mill for around 15 years, and I doubt that I've sent WM $1000 for parts in that time. I'm calling BS on that guy.
Too many irons in the fire

fluidpowerpro

Sounds like he was sore that they didnt like his design. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

barbender

Tacks, to be clear, I don't think that is the kind of post that even belongs here. And I think you realize that too, owing to the fact that you wrote "let the stones fly". That's not the right attitude to have here and you know better.
Too many irons in the fire

tacks Y

Quote from: barbender on April 20, 2024, 02:03:48 PMTacks, to be clear, I don't think that is the kind of post that even belongs here. And I think you realize that too, owing to the fact that you wrote "let the stones fly". That's not the right attitude to have here and you know better.
Feel free to delete it.  I do not have a dog in this race but..... the man seemed to know what he was talking about.  So I was just sharing. I do not have a WM.  If I was doing mobile sawing I would, I do not so I don't.  But that is just me.  

beenthere

Quote from: tacks Y on April 20, 2024, 08:45:09 AMI have been selling some kiln dried wood this winter trying to clean out and reorganize. I do not cut to sell, just my own use.  A man came and bought some from me said he had worked for WM.  He went on to say he designed a debarker/mud saw for them but when he showed them they said it was built to well. He was told by the owner they make more on parts than they do selling saws. He knew the top dog by first name and sat in his office talking things out. Said he left after their approach to build durability.

Let the stones fly, I am not trying to flame anyone or WM.  The man seemed honest and it was interesting to talk to him. 

But you just believed him ??
Maybe owe it to WM to dig a little deeper, please.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Percy

That 3rd solonoid in the small box near the battery failed on me about 16 years ago. I still havent replaced it( didnt think it was a big deal. The mill worked fine with it bypassed..........till the other day. I have wired my LT70 for hydraulics everywhere so when one solonoid failed in the opposite fashion that most of them fail(this one stuck in the ON position), it puked out all the oil and killed the battery and probably shortend the pump and motor brushes life so......I think im gonna replace that solonoid after 16 years...hate to rush things but...its time ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

That "supply" solenoid is a sorta safety item to prevent someone from operating the hydraulics when it is unattended.  I don't know about now, but previously the non-Super mills did not have that supply solenoid.

They are expensive and alternative solenoids are available at 1/2 $ or less, but they last for several years.  I keep 2-3 on my truck because I am always at a customer's location and when I have a failure, I want the sawmill up and running with the least amount of down time.  Knowing the symptoms and having the knowledge and parts to quickly bring it back to life will amaze your customers.

I normally have some operating expense $$ available in December so I go through and make a nice order of spare parts with that tax years $$.  That is better than paying taxes.

Thank You Sponsors!