iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just couldn't help m'self.

Started by DanG, August 10, 2009, 03:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Let me clarify. I read back over my last post and it might be misinterpretted.

DanG  I thought helicopters had stick steering . Thats what I meant anyway.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom

You need a sombrero for peppers.

DanG

Fish, your helicopter line went right over my head! :D :D :D

You worded it great, but I guess you underestimated the bone density.

Maybe I'll take along a scoop of mushroom compost next time and try to chum up some peppers. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Be sure to wear the sombrero  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

That would take all the sport out of it.  Gotta give them peppers a fighting chance, ya know. ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Scott

Great addition to Dang's fleet.
~Ron

metalspinner

QuoteGreat addition to Dang's fleet.

That's "Commandant DanG."  sail_smiley
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

He might become Skipper DanG ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nas

with all those boats it might be admiral Dang 8)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

LeeB

Quote from: WDH on August 12, 2009, 11:41:32 AM
Who knows, it might take LeeB for bait :D :D.

I think that would be the other way around.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Just pondering the philosophies from another thread, I wonder if peppers have rights, too ??? ::).

gary

They have the right to be eaten

DanG

They also have other rights that they can exercise subsequent to their consumption. :o

bandmiller2

Dan,for anchors just git a couple of cast iron weight builder weights you know the discs with the hole in the middle.Big one for fast water[wadda if your from around Boston]and a small one for still ponds.Lets see now you need lorain,ship to shore, radar,gps and of course a fish finder[worm on a hook] Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

iffy

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 12, 2009, 05:37:47 AM
Grand father used the brand ever since the war on canoes in the river.

Who won the war on canoes?  :D

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DanG

Funny you should bring this topic up again, Bill.

Y'all remember that little boat that we started out talking about?  Well, I'm beginning to think the DanG thing is jinxed! >:(  I ain't had nothing but trouble ever since I got it.  First time I took it out, everything was fine.  Next time, the engine wouldn't run.  Then I fooled around and had that pesky little heart attack, which slowed me down a bit.  There were those who said that a human couldn't possibly move any slower than I already was, but I guess I showed them! ;D :D  Anyway, the trouble turned out to be the powerpack, which cost me $90 with me doing the work.  Ok, now I got it running and was back on my feet, so I went fishing.  It ran great, but it wasn't pumping any cooling water! :'(  So I fished close to the ramp and came in on the trolling motor.   Got a new impeller and put it in, and guess what?  You got it, the DanG thing won't start now, and I'm pretty sure that new $90 powerpack is toasted!

I had some other things to do between naps, so I didn't mess with it for a few days, but yesterday I decided to do a couple of little tests to verify what the problem is.  As I took the cover off, I noticed some bugs flying around, then I noticed that those bugs were Yellowjackets!  I stepped back a little, since they seemed to be interested in what I was doing.  After they settled down, I crept back up to the boat and took a look.  See that little well there with the bilge pump in it?

Well, that well is only about 6 or 8 inches square by about 2 inches deep, but it has a little opening into a small bilge under the flat deck.  Now I would think that this bilge area would be foam-filled, but I don't really know that it is.  Anyway, this is the little hole that opens into that bilge, and that is where the 'jackets have chosen to nest! :-\

Now I'm in a quandary as to just what to do about it. ???  The boat is settin' right in front of the shop and I got all sorts of noxious chemicals in there that would probably take care of the problem, but I'd prefer not to have the boat blow up next time it chooses to run.  I've tried wasp spray on nests before and they don't work well when used like that.  Right now, they should be thoroughly aggravated with me, cause I plugged up the hole after they all went to bed last night. ;D :D :D

Raider Bill

Suck it up man! Take the boat out on the lake,  sail_smiley

Open that cover, beat all around the opening with pole, shoot them with spray as they fly out.  smiley_monkeyfight

Tape everything so we can watch the festivites :D
Don't forget the life jacket. Safety first I always say.
Use some kind of streaming video like Jeff does so we can see it live.
Might be worth $10k on one of them americas funniest video shows.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

:D :D :D

Seriously, can you fill that well with water?

I've also heard people use Sevin powder on the nest. Not sure they knew what they were saying.

Good luck.  I've had to kill off two large nests of them in the ground here. One would have filled a two gallon bucket.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I filled a 3 gallon pale with honey bees from the flue. I gassed the buzzards with smoke, then with Raid foam as they hit the base of the flue from 40 feet up. Gave'm a good thrashing. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

There's been a development.  I got a better look at the stowaways today in some brighter light.  They ain't yellowjackets after all, they're honey bees.  I called JAMES G on the phone.  He's the Son-in-law/Forumite/Beekeeper that I consult with in situations like this, and we had a little chinwag about what should be done with these critters.  After a number of brilliant suggestions from both of the involved parties, including waiting and trying to sling the honey out of the boat with some sort of a gargantuan boat-slinging device, to sinking the boat to see if honey will float, we concluded that we'd rather go fishing, so I will see to the execution of the bees on the morrow.  I've decided on a piece of tubing, a small funnel, and a La-Cockaroacha bomb. ;D

WH_Conley

Gee, if I can live with yellow jackets at my mill, surely you can live with honey bees. Course I can't figure how to get rid of them without getting stung. ;D
Bill

SwampDonkey

Well DanG is a little better off then I was. I had to climb up to that flue with 3 ladders, make a long stick with a nail to lasso a rope around the flue so I wouldn't take a 30+ odd drop with a ladder off the roof. Climb up there with flue brushes in hand and remove that honeycomb at the mouth of the flue. Then scrape the entire innards of the flue from top to bottom making sure more were not honeycombed down there someplace. And I don't like being too far off the ground.  :o ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!