iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brain fart induced search problem

Started by limbrat, October 12, 2011, 11:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

Im looking to build a log retriver that i can hang from my three point hitch on my tractor. Basicaly a stubby jim pole with a blade on the bottom. A blade so i can back it under the log to lift it or lift the end with hand winch mounted on the jim pole. Chain it back to the retriver let the weight off the winch and go with it. But i dont know what its called so that i can search to see what others have built. Any ideals?
ben

zopi

A company called Farmi makes exactly what you are talking about..so does hud son, I think..lots of pics on theor website..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Al_Smith

You can get about the same effect using a set of log tongs off a three point .Get the front of that log up out of the dirt you'd be surprised how much even a little Fergeson will pull .Just a thought . :)

beenthere

I use the quick hitch (Deere calls theirs iMatch) and toss a pair of logging tongs on the top hook.

Here is an older version on an 8N Ford and the size logs it mustered out of the woods was impressive.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

I use a three pt boom and tongs too...but having that winch and the ability to set the blade on the ground to stabilize tue tractor would be good too....some logs you steer with the brake, and some logs just get to be shorter lumber...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

limbrat

Farmi calls there's a skidding winch (thank you zopi). Im sking them out on a half sheet of plywood now and it works good across a smooth flat piece of ground but aint to good for hooking up or stobs or a little slope or much else. Tongs are sweet and i like having the weight close to the tractor instead of farthng back like on a jim pole. I got some tubing and a box of rods i will post a picture when i get something together. Thank you all
ben

pineywoods

Rig up something like this. regular three pt hitch on a kubota. All the hydraulics not necessary, 2 of the hoses go to a hydraulic cylinder used as a top link. The other 2 go to a hydraulic motor driving an old pto type winch. I do some fairly serious logging with this setup. pull a pin and flip the receiver hitch over and use it to pull a logging trailer

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!