iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powermatic PM 2000 Table Saw Question

Started by DR Buck, September 06, 2008, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I bought a PM-2000 table saw some months back and am finally getting it assembles and setup.   While installing the blade and guard assembly I ran into something that appears strange to me.   I can not lower the blade any lower than a little over 1"  with the riving knife and blade guard attached.    The guard has  somewhat of a tilt back toward the out-feed side of the blade and hits the table top at this 1" height.   

My other (old) table saw, a Craftsman sliding miter would let me lower the blade all the way down with the guard and riving knife installed.   It seems strange to me that  on this high dollar saw I must remove the guard and riving knife to lower the blade all the way down.

Is this the way it's supposed to work or is something out of whack?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Norm

I'm not sure what's going on DR but on mine I can lower it all the way down. Maybe get a picture and see if I can tell you what's happening.

TexasTimbers

The blade guard on that model should not have anything to do with the blade not lowering. I mean, doesn't it attach to the top of the knife?

You should remove access panel and have someone raise and lower the blade while you observe every moving part until you see what is in conflict. The arbor or something is hitting something or else there is a major piece of debris embedded in a worm screw. ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

DR Buck

If I remove the guard and riving knife, it goes all the way down.   Only when the riving knife is inserted does it not go down all the way.  Both the blade and riving knife move up and down together.  The guard mounts on the riving knife.   The  back end of the riving knife bottoms out on the table top before the blade is all the way down.     I'll get some pictures later this evening.

Norm

Here's a couple of pictures of mine in the down position.

DR Buck

Fixed !     8)  8)  8)

The arbor lock was not retracting completly and binding against the riving knife mounting casting.   I loosened the screws on the arbor lock and it poped all the way in and now it works.  :)

All I need to do now is get power hooked up to it.   ::)

TexasTimbers

Uh huh, and how did you figger that one out eh? :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

OneWithWood

Ooooh, so you are still behind in the table saw category  :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!