iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The floathouse is finished

Started by JVK, July 22, 2012, 02:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dblair

wow !!!!!! all that with a 13 hp mill . Just think of what he would have built with a Lt 70 there might not have been another tree left in B.C.  LoL
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

drobertson

just outstanding! really leaves one speechless! what a joy it must be to sit back and take in that view. Happy for you.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thats Bloody Awesome and Great Workmanship Im pretty sure you will have the 50 in no time Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dave VH

I build houses, and install commercial docks for a living, but I've never gotten to do anything like that.  That is awesome.  I even have a 13hp manual bandmill, i would love the opportunity to build one of those.  Does it freeze where you're at? if so, how does that handle ice shift?  It looks great, and appears to float balanced, and i know how difficult that can be when you're dealing with different point loads in different areas.  Great Job! thanks for the pictures, I even called my wife in to look at them.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

nas

That's really cool JVK.  I want one ;D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Woodchuck53

That is a swell project. I had heard about concrete ships used during the 2nd. war but this is really something. They use blanked off used pipeline pipe and large Butane tanks down here. Looks really nice. Thanks for sharing.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Tom L

that's a nice house, but I have one question, how does the house stay together with wave action under the floats. it would seem to me that as a wave move under the floats it would move the floor. what do you do to prevent wave action from ripping the house apart?

Cypressstump

What a beautiful area for a floating cabin !

Now that's one roof I would not be too overly concerned about falling off of,,, at least in the summertime !
:)
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

JVK

You guys ask good questions. These cabins are floating in calm places away from any bad weather. Thats the main thing to figure out before building something like this. The only waves are the wakes generated from boats.

There are 30 concrete floats for this place weighing in at about 3000 lbs each. Thats 45 tons of cement just in the floats. With the weight of the beams, deck, house and all the stuff inside you have a mini iceberg with a lot of mass under water. Real hard to get that to move with the wave action it will see. The spaces between the concrete floats is a plus, because the wave energy gets canceled out as they try to work there way thru the float. The entire top is sealed to keep spray from hitting the bottom side of the cabin and keep the otters and mink from living under the house.

Weather here is mild in the winter. Maybe 1" to 2" of ice sometimes as there is a thick fresh water surface lense from all the lakes and such. So ice is no problem.

Building one of these is a little differant as you can imagine. You have to figure out what all the framing, windows, roofing, and all the stuff that goes into a cabin weighs. Then calculate how much foatation required to float all that and then have the finished height of the deck to satisfy the owner and the boat that will be tied to it. You can see in the first photo that there is more cement block showing than in the last pic. This cabin sank about 10" from start to finish.

First thing is to start with a heavy duty flat floor. Then plywood everything to death, even some of the interior walls. That makes a sort of truss type deal, because as the float goes down with load the floatation really starts to push up. A lot of cabins have a big hump in the middle - not good. Next thing = leave the level at home, it won't work. The cabin tilts all over the place as your building away.

No one fell off the roof, but we lost some tools.

Magicman

Thanks for the narrative.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

VT_Forestry

Quote from: Cypressstump on July 24, 2012, 02:28:51 PM
What a beautiful area for a floating cabin !

Now that's one roof I would not be too overly concerned about falling off of,,, at least in the summertime !
:)

With the proper mathmatical calculations (  smiley_beertoast ), I believe a waterslide could be incorporated into that roof design  :)

Awesome job, I would love to have one of those!  What a way to relax!
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

westyswoods

What type of plywood do you use for the decking, marine grade?

Thanks for the insight, very interesting.
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Thank You Sponsors!