iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4" vs 4.5" Hydraulic Splitting Cylinder

Started by Rougespear, October 07, 2019, 09:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

Quote from: hedgerow on October 09, 2019, 08:21:12 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on October 09, 2019, 06:09:50 PM
One of the slickest ways I have seen to speed up splitting time was a firewood processor Youtube video I had seen that the processor used two single acting hydraulic cylinders, the pushers were tied together at the back with a chain and a roller so that when one cylinder was extended it also retracted the other one. The pushers and cylinder rods were covered with a large box tubing that was set on a 45° from flat and it was designed so that when the pusher closest to the saw was extended the block of wood would slide over the pusher into the second one.

Almost halves the splitting cycle, no wait for the return stroke, no need for extra large cylinder rods to speed up splitting time.
If you could post that link I would like to see that processor. Sounds like a neat way to do it.  Thanks
@hedgerow I found one, I know I have seen more than one.

Logsplitter homemade holzspalter kloofmachine DIY firewood processor lowbudget - YouTube

hedgerow

Hilltop366 
Thanks for posting that video. That's one slick running processor. 

Gearbox

I had a sliver under the plate yesterday and had to un bolt to get it out . This is on my BT6870 processer . My splitter beam is worn down in the middle by .050 or more . I know it does a lot of wood but the bark and junk that gets under the plate wears like crazy . That sliver was stuck so hard it had it in low flow .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Al_Smith

If I were  concerned about the beam failing I'd look for a heavier beam to begin with .Mine is a W10-77 meaning 77 pounds per foot .Cut off section of a piling beam .Had two,one on the splitter another for a tilt plate on a bulldozer blade  .I'm not too concerned if they will fail or wear out .The splitter has a 2" thick foot plate as well .Helps balance out the weight of the 5" cylinder which I'm old enough now I can't lift it any more .Even as a younger man that was a chore -----chain falls ----- ;D

thecfarm

That splitter will keep ya busy. That belt seems to be a bit fast,but it works good. Well the whole thing works good. Small,short wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

luap

Quote from: Rougespear on October 09, 2019, 10:29:49 AM
Most everything I see off the shelf runs SAE8 ports... so probably on the small side of passing 30gpm.  I could upsize them... just haven't welded on hyd cylinders in my life before.  I'm a good welder, just have to figure out the process for cutting out the old ports and welding in the new ports in such a fashion to NOT destroy hyd seals.  I'm open to suggestions as it seems few people take the time to enlarge ports on shop-built splitters.
On steel cylinders with welded on fittings, I have cut them off with a portaband saw, grinding off any excess weld to clean it up. Making sure the piston is out of the way, I have drilled the holes out larger and used a magnet on a telescoping rod to fish the shavings out. Cover the rod to protect from weld splatter. Grind your starts and stops to prevent overlap and put a second pass over your root pass. Oversize your return hose to go along with larger hose size. You could do one at a time using one fitting to level off of to keep the orientation the same. Lay a wet rag over the rod end to keep heat from the seal.

Hilltop366

Rougespear I came across this video yesterday it made me think about your processor build and wondering how it is going.

Another 2 cylinder processor.

Vedproduktion i Morast - YouTube

hedgerow

Hilltop366 
You found another neat processor thanks for posting the video. Merry Christmas. 

Hilltop366

Thank You Sponsors!