iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Season 23-24

Started by GaTrapper, September 29, 2023, 02:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I wonder what he will do when he gets a whiff of a big ole Buck.  You better shoot fast.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

2 weeks before season, we were down by the pond, and a deer blew at us from behind the berm road I had created to divide that field. He looked at me with a "what was that!" look. The deer then blew again, quietly to cedar I said shhh shhhh. Come, lets go. He quietly turned towards me and we exited.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Jeff on November 29, 2023, 07:41:32 AM
Can you take your dog deer hunting? German Shepherd in a Deer Blind #1 - YouTube
Jeff,
   I have killed 2 antlerless deer so far this year and both times Sampson, my rat terrier was with me. In fact the one I shot last week I went to that stand only because he wanted to go. I was going to go to a climbing stand on the back corner of my property but he was so pitiful I went to my shooting house with the ramp he can walk up instead just so he could go. He did see and let me know when the deer was coming. He also alerted the deer with his running around and scratching and I had to shoot or lose it then. ::) I would otherwise have let them feed around in hopes she'd bring in a big buck but it is fun hunting with my little buddy as I am sure you know with Cedar. A day in the woods with your dog is a good day whether you kill a deer or not. 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

red

Last week a local Police Officer fell out of his tree stand while Hunting . . he has had two back surgeries and a go fund me has raised $40k for his long recovery . . Stay Safe out there 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

chep

I finally get to post! Got my buck today opening day of late muzzleloader. We can take up to 3 does via archery/muzzleloader and 1 buck via any method. I struck out rifle hunting,  but today in the rain/mist made still hunting on our dwindling snow possible.  The 50 cal  Rossi struck at 10 10 am. He is a small 5pt 137 lb dressed. Nothing compared to some of the bucks you guys post,  but a dandy for me. I'm a meat hunter anyhow. Feels good to put some meat in the freezer. Had heart for lunch. Now the real work begins. 7

Walnut Beast

Congratulations! Very nice buck! People don't know what they are missing from some occasional wild organ meat. I'm not absolutely crazy about it but when cooked right it's very tasty.

SawyerTed

Congrats!  Great deer!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

KEC

The organ meat is good, when prepared right. And, if you don't care for it, it is as good as it gets to feed to a dog. That includes the heart, liver and tonque. There are nutrients in meat that is not fully cooked that many dogs could benefit from; and dogs love it. I miss eating fried liver with my puppydog who has been gone a few years now. Nice deer chep.

chep

Thanks for the good wishes. Truth be told I put on many many miles of walking this rifle season and saw a lot of deer but all does. I have access to somebody elses big acreage and I spend a lot of time over there. Prob to much time. Today I went out on my own property bit of a whim and just followed my senses. They led me to the right place apparently. This deer ran down hill and crossed a dirt rd. It bedded down about 6 ft off the rd. I couldnt believe it. He needed another bullet to end it quicker (I got him with a good liver shot) but I didn't want him to run again (I had already jumped him up once looking for blood)... But it's illegal to discharge a firearm within 50ft of rd... well. Out came my knife... Easiest drag I've ever had. About 15 ft to 4wheeler.  

newoodguy78

Nice buck chep congrats. Up there in your neck of the woods hopefully the drag out wasn't too bad, those hills can be brutal.

newoodguy78

Ha we were posting at the same time. Glad the drag was easy 

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!