iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening and Setting

Started by Stephen1, March 06, 2012, 05:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Quote from: Stephen1 on March 16, 2012, 01:08:03 PM
I agree as long as you do.a full.profile everything stays the same...except the width of the blade. It will gradually shrink.

The depth of the blade will shrink; IE from the top of the teeth to the bottom of the blade.  The thickness of the blade will stay the same.  For example, .045 is going to stay .045.  The distance across from one tooth to the next will get smaller. 
     A .045 blade, with a .025 set, would be .095 across from the tip of a left facing tooth to the tip of a right facing tooth.  .045+.025+.025=.095.  As you grind the tip of the tooth, you're removing the part that sticks farthest out from the body of the blade.  Therefore, the set becomes less each time you sharpen.  Sharpening the whole profile doesn't change that.  Barring damage done during sawing, that is what requires resetting a blade if you want to bring it back to factory specs.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Stephen1

Well as in my other post, I did finish my cutting job.
I am not bad and sharpen and setting now, thanks for the info guys.
Jim, thanks for the info , it is a WM LT40HD, 1993 with 750 hrs on it. It came with a sharpener, setter, and a barely used resaw attachment wired and ready to go.
I got pretty good at sharpening and setting as I was going thru 10 blades a day, and a couple of days 18 blades.
I have damaged blades, when do you decide to throw them out, how many bad teeth, or do you keep sharpening untill you get all the teeth the same. Do you save them to use them on ugly wood that u know will have junk in them or just throw them out? I have about 15 damaged blades, plus I broke about 8 blades. they  :o are amazing able to cut thru 1/2 lag bolts, mind they don't cut very well after you hear the zing... :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

bandmiller2

Stephen two or three broken teeth are not the kiss of death for a band unless their in a row.Most of us save old bands for those doggy logs,but never seem to have them on the mill when we hit something,always a new band.Seems to me one side of a band seems to loose more of its set than the outher,its not a perfect system but as long as the boards come out well we're OK. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!