iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5860 stolen

Started by Ed_K, October 02, 2017, 02:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

UN, I like your set up. If it was wider would the top step fold over when stepped on?
Ed K

teakwood

I did this setup after reading all the good info here. I am sure UN Hooker's setup would be much better.
But it is much easier now than the original 75cm high step before

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

TKehl

No pictures, but I see a lot of lineman's trucks that use thick 1" or so cable to hold the step.  Firm, yet gives to a solid object.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

teakwood

Cable came to my mind also but how do you fix it to the skidder and to the step, can't weld a cable ??? ???
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

TKehl

I think they put it through a short piece of tubing then put a large crimp on the cable so it can't pull through.  Two pieces of cable with a steel step between them on the bottom, similar to yours. 

I guess that not  everyone would have a crimper that size laying around though.   ::)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thecfarm

I've seen those steps many times. But can't remember how it's done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

UN Hooker

Ed_K
  I'm not sure what your asking. The top step is the angle iron that's bolted to the skiddah. The two aluminum ones are bolted to the heavy conveyor belt and the bracket on the left helps steady them from excessive movement sideways etc. I made them wide enough + to clear my boot. I don't think making them wider (within reason) would have a negative effect.
     UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

coxy

Quote from: TKehl on October 19, 2017, 09:24:20 PM
I think they put it through a short piece of tubing then put a large crimp on the cable so it can't pull through.  Two pieces of cable with a steel step between them on the bottom, similar to yours. 

I guess that not  everyone would have a crimper that size laying around though.   ::)
for the cable set up all you need is the reusable cable ends think there only about 10-15$ a piece

BrentWV

I put the cable in 1" long pipe and weld the pipe and cable (like capping a pipe).
Never look back,someone may be gaining on you.

Logger RK

I think Tree Farmer's came with cable steps back in 70's-80's.

Ed_K

UN, I didn't realize the top step was bolted to the skidder also. It's a good idea.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!