iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Monitoring Power Usage

Started by High_Water, August 14, 2020, 11:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High_Water

Does anybody have any experience or recommendations for monitoring power usage of a homemade kiln?

K-Guy

If everything is 120 volt, use one or two Kill A Watt monitors
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

High_Water

Is it really that simple, I'll be running a dehumidifier, fans, and a heater (probably heat lamps since I already have some) occasionally. Do I need to worry about amperage or is that taken care of by running multiple circuits? I suppose its better if the plugs are outside of the kiln, which in my case is an option, but it would be much easier if they were inside, I don't want temperature to be an issue. Something like this Robot Check

K-Guy

You would need one for each circuit and they would be outside the kiln.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Larry

In the past I've used a watthour meter.  These are the meters the power company uses on the side of your house.  They can be found on ebay $30 or so.  The good thing about them is they are simple and last for years.  Lots of amp models to choose from.

If a business, you can use one to document power usage expense for the IRS.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Because a DH kiln is a constant power draw, some power companies will give you a special rate, which also means that they furnish the meter.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

High_Water

I think my setup is too small scale to bother making a deal with the power co., in 2 years I've only had enough to run one cycle. I'm just messing around with an old shipping container at my uncle's place, so I want to monitor the draw out of curiosity on one hand, and to pay him back if it ends up a serious draw on the other.

Thank You Sponsors!