iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with selection of Mill purchase

Started by woodworker9, February 07, 2008, 03:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

Ronwood

For the life of me, I can't figure the guy out.  He used to do a nice job for me.  But, for the last 4 years, he's been spending alot of time making mulch.  He bought one of those tubgrinders (I think that's what they're called) and he's feeding that thing wood all day long.  Around my area, there is only one place for the tree service guys to dump logs, and they charge for it.  The township has a free dump, but everything has to be cut 18" or shorter, and it's behind a gate, and watched full time like a hawk.  So, all the tree service guys drop off their days refuse at this guys place, and he grinds it up into mulch.  He's got a stack of broken up pallets about the size of a basketball court, too.  Last year, he sold 200 cubic yards of mulch to a local daycare center, and made the front page of the local paper.  They found a 5 gallon pale of nails in it.  It was spread out in the playground where the kids are swinging, and running around, if you can believe it!!

If I can get just a couple more of those tree guys to bring the nice stuff to my place, then I'll be in pretty good shape.

Thanks for your insight.

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Handy Andy

Your sawmill guy sounds about like the one I had.  He sawed all the lumber on his inch scale instead of 4/4.  The lumber was 7/8 to 15/16 thick.  You just can't joint a board flat and then plane it if you only have 1/16 to each side to get it straightened up.  So I got my own mill.  Already had a skidsteer and trailers, now just need a sawshed, kiln, and whatever else comes up.  But it sure is a kick for a woodworker to be able to make lumber.  I'm addicted to wood!
My name's Jim, I like wood.

zopi

Quote from: Handy Andy on February 15, 2008, 09:09:49 PM
    But it sure is a kick for a woodworker to be able to make lumber.  I'm addicted to wood!

Ain't that the truth? Did some 16' 2x10 for the headers in my sawshed tonight...and enjoyed doing the mental math
about how big a check I'd had to write for 'em and the Big Box o crap store.  ;D

I did saw them on the inch scale though...15/16"... ;D ::)
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!