iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New iDRY

Started by boonesyard, November 15, 2019, 03:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

Day three on a very wet load. Yes, as Jim said, it's leveled out at 135 deg. A lot of water is draining every 24 hrs. My plan is to let it cook for 8 days, then check it.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Stephen1

All my loads are that wet, I pull them off the mill and put them in on full power. It will be interesting to see what happens to a load on low power. I do notice that I do not  seal the ends if it is going right in the kiln. If I have to leave it to air dry as it waits for the kiln it will start to check and crack , so I will start to seal ends going forward
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

boonesyard

I had some large oak mantels and 12/4 slabs in this load, that's why I'm trying it at low power. There's a mixture of ash and green poplar in this load as well, so it will be interesting. I know It's not the best to mix such different species and thicknesses green, but I'll push the envelope and see how it goes.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Stephen1

I have only had 1 load of 1 species. It was 4/4 EWP dried in 4 days. Every load has been a mixture of species and moisture. I like to keep a skid of cookies sawn to baffle, instead of using plywood. That way the kiln is full every time I push start. The drier wood will take on the moisture given off by the wetter wood. It means that the drier wood has to stay in longer, so maybe 10 days instead of 7 days. Same thing for the thicker slabs. They stay in longer. I will try to put them in on the bottom so I can fork off the  thinner wood, leaving the slabs in for another cycle.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

boonesyard

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 29, 2019, 08:08:00 AM
I have only had 1 load of 1 species. It was 4/4 EWP dried in 4 days. Every load has been a mixture of species and moisture. I like to keep a skid of cookies sawn to baffle, instead of using plywood. That way the kiln is full every time I push start. The drier wood will take on the moisture given off by the wetter wood. It means that the drier wood has to stay in longer, so maybe 10 days instead of 7 days. Same thing for the thicker slabs. They stay in longer. I will try to put them in on the bottom so I can fork off the  thinner wood, leaving the slabs in for another cycle.
Thanks, I'll do that. 
On another note, I've been trying to use a catch pan with a hose attached to run to a drain for the kiln drain water to allow for the air gap. It worked on the first dry load, there wasn't as much water in it, but it overflowed on this wet load. I have a couple of 90s and about 25' to get to my drain. So yesterday I piped the drain up solid with 1" pvc and installed a vent pipe to work as the air gap, worked great. Just an FYI
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Stephen1

Originally I had plumbed mine in with 1" but with the connectors it reduced it to 3/4" so I had troubles.
Now I have a pan under the kiln drain with a sensored pump, when the water comes in it pumps it up and over the drain, I also have the dehumidifier draining into the same pan. What I have found is the water can be very "sticky" I'm guessing from the pine. It seized up the float sensor after 6 months. I soaked it in varsol to clean it up. 

boardmaker

Boonesyard,

I really like the interface.  It's very simple and detailed.  I use quite a few of another brand at my day job but I like the look of that one.  Could you get me the manufacturer?  I have been using Automation Direct Cmore's and they are simple and great but there are times that I need more detail.  Thanks.

boonesyard

Here is the drain and vent configuration as discussed. It's been working flawlessly.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Coastal Gun

Got my I dry plus in December.  Set it on the pad and started building around it.  Just fired it up yesterday afternoon.  3/4 pine for the board and batten going on my kiln building. Fingers crossed. 

boonesyard

thumbs-up. Good luck with your Idry, they work well. There's a lot to learn in drying quality lumber, but at times, the Idry can be forgiving. 

Also, there's a natural algorithm that requires one to create a certain amount of designer firewood while learning the fine art of drying lumber. Enjoy 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Stephen1

It is a very forgiving Kiln. Really and truly press start and let it run. When it hits 160F your wood is done or very close, open the kiln and check your moisture content at different spots of the load. it might hace to go bak in.  Use the Delmhorst MM as it has temperture settings.  After a quite a few loads and reading and listening you will start to adjust to the wood you are drying. The best trick is watching the amount of water coming out each drain cycle. 

Thank You Sponsors!