Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

Well said Bruce thats just the way i feel
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sandsawmill14

thats exactly right    what the gun control folks are missing is that if the criminals followed the laws they wouldnt be criminals :)  so if they wont follow the laws we have now why should we think the would follow new gun laws  ??? taking them away from law abiding citizens would only make the problem worse :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

square1

This thread appears to have positioned itself ideally for a question I've had for quite some time. I read the news daily. Why is it never (seemingly) reported that an armed, concealed or open carry, citizen stopped a bad guy committing a gun related public assault?  Off duty Officer, check; fellow unarmed passengers, check; homeowner during an invasion, check; security guard, check; etc...

DelawhereJoe

Easy answer, the press is run by the anti-gun persons and it doesn't suit there soap box to preach concealed carry or the benefits of it. I try not to preach my personal views on the media/political party that backs them. In Australia when they took their guns the crime rate went up 90%, cause they only took the guns from the law abiding citizens.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

sandsawmill14

if england had gun laws here when this place was colonized it wouldnt be the U S A ;D

Czech_Made

Quote from: square1 on June 13, 2016, 02:24:20 PM
This thread appears to have positioned itself ideally for a question I've had for quite some time. I read the news daily. Why is it never (seemingly) reported that an armed, concealed or open carry, citizen stopped a bad guy committing a gun related public assault?  Off duty Officer, check; fellow unarmed passengers, check; homeowner during an invasion, check; security guard, check; etc...

NRA magazines have always a page dedicated to stories like that:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/6/13/the-armed-citizen-june-13-2016/

sandsawmill14

our local news will run a story like that every once in a while :) a couple of month ago a guy that worked in liquor store had an attempted robbery he pulled his pistol and shot several times at the thief and missed every shot but the thief took off running and was later caught by police  :) it was a very funny interview when the tv news interviewed him he said i never could hit **** with a pistol  :D :D :D
and some other stuff :D :D :D  20 yrs ago or so i worked with the guy when we both worked at the fertilize plant and he is a real nice guy and very funny to be around anyway :) this happen about 15 miles from my house ::)

LaneC

An armed society is a polite society.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: square1 on June 13, 2016, 02:24:20 PM

The NRA magazines have a section called The Armed Citizen where they highlight just that.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

A couple of weekends ago I came upon a rattlesnake rather abruptly. This was the first one that actually rattled at me. He was coiled up and I put my first 2 shots in the same place, right between the coils. I could see the dirt fly underneath him. I made a slight adjustment and the next shot cut him in half. Pan fried rattler is goooood.

so I'm thinkin about getting either a S&W Governor or the Taurus Judge. Each one will take .410 shot shells or .45 long colt. Anyone have input or these hand guns?

Czech_Made

You can get shotshell ammo for a handgun.  I make my own, but it can be bought.

Works on snakes, rats, you name it.

Admin. photo edit, refer to forum posting rules.

Texas Ranger

Channel Two news out of Houston regularly carries self defense stories, but this is Texas ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

I'd go with rat shot for a normal handgun.
Billy has a Judge, I'm not impressed for what it cost.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandsawmill14

when i was a kid w used to love shooting bumble bees (actually carpenter bees i guess) with our 22 long rifle revolvers and rat shot :) dont worry very few bees were ever harmed :-\ :D :D :D

Weekend_Sawyer

Raider Bill

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on June 14, 2016, 01:26:28 PM
when i was a kid w used to love shooting bumble bees (actually carpenter bees i guess) with our 22 long rifle revolvers and rat shot :) dont worry very few bees were ever harmed :-\ :D :D :D

That's a normal pass time at the tenn house or was until we ran out of rat shot. Got 17 in 1 day
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Dave Shepard

I know someone who shoots carpenter bees on the wing with a Red Ryder BB gun, and another that uses a squirt bottle filled with lye.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DelawhereJoe

We used to use .22 rat shot on cicada killers back on my grandfathers farm, for bumblebees we used wiffle ball bats and tennis racket. Wiffle ball bats work great on lightning bugs too.

ppine

when we were kids my Dad let us shoot in the basement. When we ran out of .22s we shot bb guns.  We used to have a spotlight on the target. I vividly remember a fly landing on the target and my brother wet his finger and touched the front sight like Davy Crockett. Then he splattered the fly with one BB from 40 feet. We learned later that he had 20/15 vision.
Forester

DelawhereJoe

I thought that was Sargent York that would wet down his front sight with spit on his thumb...

tmarch

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on June 14, 2016, 10:39:16 AM

A couple of weekends ago I came upon a rattlesnake rather abruptly. This was the first one that actually rattled at me. He was coiled up and I put my first 2 shots in the same place, right between the coils. I could see the dirt fly underneath him. I made a slight adjustment and the next shot cut him in half. Pan fried rattler is goooood.

so I'm thinkin about getting either a S&W Governor or the Taurus Judge. Each one will take .410 shot shells or .45 long colt. Anyone have input or these hand guns?
I have looked at and shot both, and I own the Governor.  Takes 45 ACP with a clip device so makes it reasonable to shoot, the judge can't use 45 ACP.  Either one will work, but I like the Governor better for fit and finish and the action is smoother.  As I posted in another thread-a carjacker will have time to learn brail when in jail after a meeting with a 410 in the face.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Carson-saws

Dave Shepard.....did he shoot his eye out with that Red Rider?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Dave Shepard

Not that I know of. I've never been a fan of bb guns because of ricochet. I never had one when I was a kid. I started on .22
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Czech_Made

The good old days with cheap .22 ammo available anywhere  :'(

ppine

York learned that trick from Davy.
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!