iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exposure to Fungus --- what are the symptoms?

Started by Left Coast Chris, June 29, 2007, 12:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Last Saturday,  I was helping a guy come up with structural repair solutions in an empty older building from the 50's that has extensive water damage and associated rot.  Its dry now but has alot of decaying framing.

I was using a screw driver to detect the extent of the rot in framing and did some picking around in the enclosed building without a dust mask.

An hour or so later my nose began running excessively.  The next four days I had severe cold like symptoms, runny nose, sneezing and now a sinus infection.  Last night I had a 102.5 temp and now this morning a 101.5 temp.

I got a doctors apointment today........ :( :(

Anyone have sickness from fungus exposure?    What were your symptoms?

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Woodbender

Do NOT miss or cancel that appointment.  Fungus infections have killed people dude! If you start feeling respiratory distress call for help.  Sounds like you only got grazed but for heaven's sake check it out and tell us what's going on.
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Left Coast Chris

Doc visit turned out pretty good.  He gave me some antibiotics and said that I do not have the bad fungus but just likely a sunus infection (sinusitus/rhinuitus).  He said I could have an alergic reaction to some type of fungus or other airborne particles but its hard to say. 

He did say if you have a bad fungus reaction the lungs and/or throat will be greatly affected and mine are pretty good.   The strange thing is the fluctuating temps Im having......... 97.6 at the docs office and 103.4 later today at home.

Cant wait to be up and around again.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

jerry-m

I'am no doctor, but with that temp. fluctuation I think I would get a 2nd opinion...

Just my 2 cents, Jerry
Jerry

Don_Papenburg

Planed some walnut with a very small amount of yellow ish streaks of surface mold ended up with flu like symtoms with out the trots .   I was weak and
sore and had a hard time breathing , I did not remember a fever though. 
Doc had me take some pills and come in for a shot every other day .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Furby

Sure sounds like you've got the sinus cold/colds that have been going around the country.

Left Coast Chris

Day two of the antibiotics:  Nose dried up, head feals much clearer, no sneezing, temps back to normal.   What ever it was it must have been bacterial because the antibotics are kicking it hard.   ............ feel MUCH better.  Might be out in the shop tomorrow.

jerry-m

Glad to hear you are doing better 8)  Sounds like you will be fit as new in a day or two  :D

Jerry
Jerry

Woodbender

That sounds more like it.  Thanks for keeping us posted!

Quote from: farmer77 on June 30, 2007, 07:03:13 PM
Day two of the antibiotics:  Nose dried up, head feals much clearer, no sneezing, temps back to normal.   What ever it was it must have been bacterial because the antibotics are kicking it hard.   ............ feel MUCH better.  Might be out in the shop tomorrow.
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Left Coast Chris

Jerry and Woodbender,  thanks for the support.............

Im doing much better.......... day three after the antibiotics, sinusus clearing out...still a ways to go but made it to church today.  At least Im not sleeping 16 hours per day.  Strength is coming back and am heading out to the shop this after noon.   

I will be wearing a dust mask in dusty old places from now on!

brdmkr

You may want to get checked for allergies.  I kept a sinus infection until they found out that I am allergic to everything.  I take a shot once a week and no more sinus infection.  The allergy caused my nose to run and given enough of that, a bacterial infection can set in.  I have not been treated for a sinus infection in more than a year.

Sounds like the Dr. has you on the mend 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

low_48

Glad it wasn't the fungi that got you Farmer77. Kind of reminds me of the time I thought I blew my back out from lifting some heavy bowl blanks. I was cutting up some big stock for the Oneway most of the day. As the day ended my back started to hurt. By 7:00 that night it was getting to toe curlin' pain. Turns out I was in the hospital for a while with a kidney stone. Now I know what child birth feels like except the pain doesn't cycle off and on like child labor. :o Seems we can associate pain or sickness with the last known work cycle.

Thank You Sponsors!