iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cool link to historic American cookbooks at MSU.

Started by Paschale, April 17, 2005, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

I'm posting all kinds of things about food lately--might be because of Chet's question, asking if we're all on a diet.  Well I am, and all I wanna do is eat!   :D

This is pretty cool--it's an online digital resource of historic American cookbooks that you can take a look at.  Here's their description of the resource:

"The Michigan State University Library and the MSU Museum have partnered to create an online collection of some of the most influential and important American cookbooks from the late 18th to early 20th century. The goal of this project is to make these materials available to a wider audience.

Digital images of the pages of each cookbook are available as well as full-text transcriptions and the ability to search within the books, across the collection, in order to find specific information."

historic American cookbooks

There's an interesting 15 minute video about the collection on this website, and apparently they've digitized many of them.  Kinda cool!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Paschale

Check out this recipe for Spruce Beer from the earliest cookbook in their collection, from 1798.  I figure SPRUCE BEER is a pretty fitting recipe for the Forestry Forum!

For brewing Spruce Beer.
Take four ounces of hops, let them boil half an hour in one gallon of water, strain the hop water then add sixteen gallons of warm water, two gallons of molasses, eight ounces of essence of spruce, dissolved in one quart of water, put it in a clean cask, then shake it well together, add half a pint of emptins, then let it stand and work one week, if very warm weather less time will do, when it is drawn off to bottle, add one spoonful of molasses to every bottle.

I just wonder what "essence of spruce" is, as well as what "emptins" are... :P

etat

hey Paschale.  I couldn't get the link to work.  I did do a search and found the site you are talking about. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Patty

I love old cookbooks. Around here different clubs and associations will print cookbooks for fund raisers. They are full of old recipes. I try to buy them up when I see them. Another great place to buy cookbooks is estate auctions and farm sales. You can buy boxes of them! :P
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

Link works now. Amazing what an extra / can do. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paschale

::)

So much for thinking I had this hyperlink thing figured out... ;)

etat

Every time I want to insert a link and give it a different name i wind up going to the thread about hyperlinks in 'Behind the Forum' and scroll down the thread to where Jeff made the post and put a link to the instructions on how to do it. 

There's 'gotta' be a easier way to find it without going through all of that. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jeff

Jeff

Jeff

;)

Try using the help link on the tool bar and then the posting category?

Or specifically HERE

etat

:D :D :D :D

Thanks! I need ALL the help I can get  :)

Thank You Sponsors!