iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas engine for planer?

Started by Edvantage, January 01, 2021, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edvantage

The more I dig into this the more it's looking like it's heading to the scrap man. 

tacks Y

Most convertors are made to run an 1800 rpm motor if thinking of saving for that.

Edvantage

Motor is not usable. Broke it down for scrap armature is 200# windings are 150#. I think for a short term planer solution I'm going to buy an inserted planer head for the dewalt I have. My immediate need is to plane 400 pcs 2x 6" ash 8 feet long. 1/16 per side. Will serve as floor and ceiling.

Al_Smith

Quote from: tacks Y on February 23, 2021, 07:31:10 PM
Most convertors are made to run an 1800 rpm motor if thinking of saving for that.
I'm not sure it makes  any difference .I've made 15 or 20 convertors and have used 3450 RPM motors as well as 1750 and they all worked . 6 of one half dozen of another . ;)

Edvantage

Got $77.50 scrap price. Not much copper in motor mostly steel.

muggs

So what was the price per pound. I have a bunch of bad motors I need to take in.

Edvantage

.14 # for motor I  removed armature and windings they didn't want to pay for the iron. Was kind of scary deal was nobody around when I pulled up at scrap yard, then pick-up shows up with two guys and pistols in their hands which they quickly stuffed back in thair pockets when they saw I was bringing scrap. Looked like I walked into a drug deal? I was glad to get my money and be on my way.

muggs

Thanks for the info. They came out with guns in their hands!!!!! Man your scrapyards are rough. :o

Thank You Sponsors!