iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Natural Selection Moments....

Started by weimedog, November 19, 2013, 07:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

When to check on the status of a couple of Kimbers...and the guy who owns the shop had this on his counter. Said a customer brought it in and wanted it to be fixed.....I call these Natural Selection Moments.

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

WH_Conley

Is that the head of the case blown out?
Bill

Jason_AliceMae Farms

This is not mine and I have no idea where the picture came from but I would say that this one might belong to the same person that owns that Glock........

Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

beenthere

The rifle in the pic happened to an acquaintance of mine when he made the mistake and used pistol powder to hand load some .308 ammo. He was lucky the Sako action didn't blow but the same results as in the pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Hopefully he wasn't hurt much other than ego and pocket book.  When I was just starting to think about reloading an ol' timer told me to keep the rifle and pistol stuff separate and have separate areas set up for each for just that reason.  I am not an experienced re-loader by any means, I am still paranoid about mistakes like that
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

red oaks lumber

dying isn't worth saving a few dollars ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Quote from: weimedog on November 19, 2013, 07:43:26 PMSaid a customer brought it in and wanted it to be fixed.....
Kinda like trying to fix stupid.   smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimRB

Okay, so what DID happen to the gun?  Was it a handloading mistake?

I once read a thread on a shooting forum where a new handloader had an interesting problem.  He was trying to load some 223 ammunition using IMR4895 but could not physically fit the recommended amount of powder into the case. He was using a reloading manual, and the load he was attempting was reasonable.  After he posted some pictures of the powder, we figured out that he was really using Red Dot, a shotgun powder. 

It turned out that he had just bought a bunch of reloading gear from someone, including some primers, open cans of powder, etc.  The pinhead he bought from had put Red Dot into a 4895 can.  Nice guy.  (To this day I wonder if he had malicious intent.)

If the buyer had not thought to ask about it, but rather just cram as much powder as he could into the case and put a bullet on top, the best he could have hoped for would have been to blow his rifle to Mars. 

So anyway, it's possible the shooter of this gun didn't do anything stupid.

Tim

weimedog

All I can do is relay the story that was given to me. (I wasn't around when events happened)  The Store owner said the guy saw a "youtube" reloading video and tried to replicate what he saw....said he topped of the cases and had a compressed load. First round did that....that's the story. Sounds plausible but like I said; I just saw it after on the gun shops counter and heard the story....and if that was true, my title fits... ::)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!